Final Inspection

Old 09-27-05, 08:37 PM
bigblock
Visiting Guest
Final Inspection

I'm not sure what I should have connected when I get my final sign off. I had someone come out and look at the rough in phase, conduit, he said everything looked pretty good.

I just need to run the wire and connect to the main panel.

Am I suppose to wait for them before flipping the switch?

I was planning on getting everything wired on the subpanel and have the breaker off in the sub. Then flip the 60 amp feeder on to get power to the sub, then flip on the 220v 40 amp for the compressor. That seems like the safest way to me. Any suggestions?

I prefer to ask now, instead of being sorry later.

Thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-05, 06:04 AM
Turn everything on and make sure it all works. Then call in for your inspection.

I would turn on the sub panel first then each breaker in the panel, one at a time. This will keep you from having everything drawing from the service at the same time.

Old 10-03-05, 10:59 PM
bigblock
Visiting Guest
Ok, I got everything wired and up an running. It all WORKS!!! and I didn't burn the house down. A few more questions though.

I ran (3)black #6 and (1) #8 green(ground) into the subpanel. Should I wrap white tape around both ends of the Common connector since it's black?

Also, for the 220V connection, I have a white and black wire, do I need to wrap black tape around the white wire to show it's hot? Does this need to be on both ends too? (my books all tell me to do so, I just want to hear it from someone else)

Thanks again!!

Old 10-04-05, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The neutral needs to be white. According to code it must be white for the full lenght. Tape is not approved. I will say (quietly), most inspectors will let white tape slide for #6. It is even hard to find less than full spools of white #6 THHN in some areas, this is possibly the reason.

For the 220 circuit. Remark the whites in the panel and receptacle box with a black, red or blue Sharpie (or other permanent) marker.

For a final inspection ALL devices, plates, etc must be installed and working. That is the simple but accurate explanation. If a fixture is not installed a blank plate must be.
You get the picture.

Old 10-04-05, 05:37 PM
panel

what i have done is take the tape and roll it all the way down wire were you can see on both sides so its all white were you see . do this for both colors this is excepted by code in most places

Old 10-04-05, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's not code legal, but yes, it is accepted by most AHJ's for #6, and even sometimes #8.

Old 10-04-05, 08:28 PM
bigblock
Visiting Guest
Damn...after all my research I still made an error. Oh well, if I don't pass because of that I might just say screw it and move on. Worse case is I move and I have to pull it all out of the wall.

It's all safe, and that's pretty much what matters to me most.