hard wired or separate receptacles for dish and disposer

Old 09-28-05, 07:15 PM
adamt12
Visiting Guest
hard wired or separate receptacles for dish and disposer

Hi,
before my kitchen wall is closed up i have a question. Am i better off placing boxes and receptacles in the wall where the dishwasher and disposal will plug in or should I just leave the romex come through the wall and hard wire them to the appliances.
I feel that receptacle boxes would be a better choice but most people I ask have them hard wired,
are there any pluses or minuses to both,
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-05, 07:40 PM
receptacle boxes

i feel like you use the receptacle boxes most just hard wire them in because its cheaper but i would put gfi receptacle boxes to keep the dishwasher and disposal from ever haveing to worry about storms

Old 09-28-05, 07:50 PM
Most disposals come with a cord and plug, and most dishwashers do not. So my answer would be one of each.

Old 09-28-05, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by lenny56769
i feel like you use the receptacle boxes most just hard wire them in because its cheaper but i would put gfi receptacle boxes to keep the dishwasher and disposal from ever haveing to worry about storms
GFCI's do not protect appliances from surges generated by storms. They protect people from getting electrocuted by ground faults. Do not put the appliances on GFCI's because they will nusance trip and then you will have to pull the unit out all the time to reset the GFCI.