Bathroom Circuit Question

Old 09-29-05, 06:34 AM
Bathroom Circuit Question

Greetings, I have 2 baths, each on a separate 20A breaker. Each bath has one GFCI outlet above the vanity, side vanity lightes, and an exhaust fan w/light on the ceiling. No heaters. Each bath has a triple outlet box on the wall that controls, side lights at mirror, exhaust fan, ceiling light. However, I only have one wife that uses only one blow dryer at a time, so can I combine these two bathrooms into an accessible J box in the open basement and then just feed one cable into one 20A breaker? this way I can make room in my panel for a new built in microwave that I want to install?
THANKS AS ALWAYS!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-05, 06:57 AM
Don't do this. You will violate code if you do. Either each bathroom needs a separate 20 amp circuit (like it is now) or the receptacles (and only the receptacles) can be on the same 20 amp circuit.

I suggest you investigate if tandem breakers can be used in your panel.

Old 09-29-05, 07:12 AM
Nowadays, the code requires one dedicated 20 Amp circuit to the bathroom, and the only thing you can feed with this circuit are outlets in another bathroom. You are not allowed to have the bathroom fans or lights on bathroom receptacle circuits as well. If you went fooling around with the bathroom circuits, IMO in order for your bathrooms to meet code, you will end up having to run a minimum of 2 circuits anyways, which is what you have now. Now if your bathroom lights and exhaust fans are on a separate circuit from your receptacles, I believe it is code legal to combine both 20 Amp dedicated circuits into one "bathroom receptacles only" circuit, which would free up a space in your panel.

NEC 210.11(C)(3)

Old 09-29-05, 07:34 AM
If the panel is full, the first thing to try it to see if your panel accepts tandem breakers. If that fails, it's really not very difficult to add a subpanel right next to the main panel to get more breaker space. Might as well do this right, don't you think?