Grounding Wires in a Large Box

Old 09-29-05, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Grounding Wires in a Large Box

Hi everyone,

This weekend I am finally up to wiring my lights and light switches in a newly constructed part of my house. I have an electrical box next to the door that is going to contain 3 switches and the live wire is going to continue on to feed additional switches. So, I will have to provide a pigtail to each of the three switches, a ground wire to the metal box, and also ground the incoming and outgoing wires. I can't remember off the top of my head how many total ground conductors this is, but I know its a lot to tie with one single wire nut.

I believe code requires the use of the green wire nuts for ground wires and I can only find ones that tie up to 5 14ga together. I have red ones that can tie more than that but I don't think I'm allowed to us them according to code.

So, what are my options? Can I add a pigtail that goes into another pigtail just to minimize the amount conductors connected to each? Should I use a larger wire nut that's not green?

There will be an inspector coming to approve in the next few months.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-05, 01:40 PM
In most places, the code does not require the wire nuts used on grounding wires to be green.

Old 09-30-05, 10:17 AM
"Ground-wire to a metal box"--------

Art 404.9, (B), Grounding reads--------------"Swiches shall be considered effectively Grounded if---the switch is mounted with metal screws to a metal box-----"

Old 09-30-05, 02:41 PM
Thanks so much! That will eliminate a lot of the conductors in the box if I don't have to have a seperate wire going to each switch! I know local codes can vary, but I don't think my town's are out of the "norm." Is the code you wrote correct for pretty much everywhere??

Old 10-01-05, 09:24 AM
The Article I submitted was culled from the National Electric Code. I was remiss in not incuding that; wrong of me to presume that a simple Art. # will be recognized by all as a NEC reference.

Good Luck & Enjoy and Learn from the Experience!!!!!!!!!