Range Hood as Pass Thru?

Old 10-01-05, 03:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Range Hood as Pass Thru?

Can I use the range hood enclosure as a pass-thru to other devices on the circuit? All the hoods I've seen have had their own integral enclosure and no other junction box. But they have always been the last thing on that branch.

The alternative is split the pass-thru to two parallel lines out of a dbl gang box and add several feet of wire.

Thanks

Old 10-02-05, 06:17 PM
R
The issue would be whether the enclosure is large enough for the extra wires. I would say that most probably are.

Old 10-02-05, 07:45 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Be sure to consider what would happen should you, or someone later, decide to remove the range hood for some reason. How will you then route the wires?
Just something to think about

Old 10-08-05, 03:06 PM
There definitely would be room, like a 3-gang box. I just don't have an exact location yet.

It seems very unlikely to be moved as this is a rather small basement kitchen with few options for rearranging. If it happens, I would bet the switch box would have to move as well, so the whole wall likely would be opened. Also, being a kitchen, I suspect cabinets would be moved in its place, so if I put a regular box behind the hood, it could be left accessible behind the cabinet. However, since these are only guesses, I will stick with plan A.

So, then, how many 12-2 wires fit into a 2-gang box with an outlet on the GFCI circuit and a light switch?

Old 10-08-05, 06:51 PM
R
You do not install a box with a range hood. The range hood has a built in "box" where the electrical wires connect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: