Wiring Receptacle

Old 10-01-05, 05:31 PM
jaysbeaker
Visiting Guest
Wiring Receptacle

Hello,

We purchased a home with a partially finished 2nd floor, all mecahnicals have been roughed in but none of the switches or outlets have been connected yet. Some of the boxes in the wall have 3 2 wire cables entering from both the top and bottom of the box. There was supposed to be a 100 amp sub-panel installed but is not inplace, most of the wiring on the 2nd floor is not connected. There is some temporary outlets for contstruction routed up stairs. I verified by testing wether the wires are hot or not all are not connected to anything yet.

Some of the outlets are in a bedroom 14x19 with 6 recessed lights in the ceiling plus a box for a fan in the center of the room. There are two switch boxes, 1 as you enter with a capacity for 3 switches (mostly all 2 wire but 1 three wire cable).

How would you wire these for an outlet?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-05, 06:40 PM
Unswitched receptacles are pretty much only wired one way. Black wires to brass screws and white wires to silver screws. But this only works if there is power to the box. And if other boxes are still unconnected, they may interrupt the power.

Are the walls still open? Can you visually follow the cables?

Old 10-03-05, 01:19 PM
jaysbeaker
Visiting Guest
The walls are closed. My father-in-law and I used a meter and a jumper to trace where the feeds go into the basement (not hooked into the main box yet) and followed the flow of the circuits. There are a few in the rooms howerver that we can't figure out where these go. Most of them have 3-2 wire cables in each box, there are only about 4 or 5 of them thoughout the entire second floor.

Old 10-03-05, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by jaysbeaker
The walls are closed. My father-in-law and I used a meter and a jumper to trace where the feeds go into the basement (not hooked into the main box yet) and followed the flow of the circuits. There are a few in the rooms howerver that we can't figure out where these go. Most of them have 3-2 wire cables in each box, there are only about 4 or 5 of them thoughout the entire second floor.
Screw in a light bulb in one of the light fixtures and use a multimeter set on resistance to figure out which cable feeds the light. Be sure all the light fixtures are wired up. Another way what be to splice two wires together at the light fixture/receptacle and then use multimeter at the boxes containing the multiple cables to find out where the cables go. This would work for the exhaust fan too.

Just a reminder:

BE SURE THE POWER IS 'OFF' WHEN YOU DO THE ABOVE!!