house current wall switch for table saw?

Old 10-02-05, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
house current wall switch for table saw?

My new used table saw has no switch; it was removed some years ago and Craftsman doesn't have the part anymore and I haven't been able to find a similar design replacement. A couple of people have suggested using a jbox and wall switch. I wonder about this. Also, if a standard wall toggle is ok, then what about one of the large designer rocker switches, which could be easier to hit in an emergency? And, would it be better to have the switch power an outlet that the motor plugs into, or cut off the 3-prong plug end of the motor cord and then have this cord connect to the switch and the switch connect to the wall receptacle?

Or maybe use a combination switch/switched-receptacle?

The motor is 1 1/2 hp; 13 amp; 120 v.

Thanks,
-Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-05, 10:22 AM
window dude
Visiting Guest
switch question

let me start this out by saying I am no electrician how ever I have several thousand hours on the table saw and you want the switch on the saw where the manufacurer designed it and make the switch as simple as possible to operate I personaly would not recomend a rocker switch as they are too easy
in an emergancy to turn the wrong way. you should also consider a 20 amp outlet wired with 12-2 wire as a 15 amp curcuit is a little light and may get hot and trip
-window dude-

Old 10-02-05, 10:59 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As window dude said, when you need OFF, you need a no guess, sure fire OFF.
Check with an electric supply house in your area for emergency stop switches. You will have to mount so that it is easily assessable at all times. It needs to be hard wired so that someone doesn't accidently forget to plug the saw into it.

Old 10-03-05, 12:36 PM
d2frette
Visiting Guest
Install one of these if you can. It's an 18amp router table switch. Check that you can install it on your tablesaw. I would guess so.

If the link doesn't work, go to www.Rockler.com and search for product id 63026 or "Router Table Switch."

- Dave

Link:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...power%20switch