Conduit size - unattached garage

Old 10-03-05, 06:30 AM
Conduit size - unattached garage

I am about to supply an unattached garage with 110v power. In the future I would like to install a hot tub. Is it ok to run an oversized underground pvc conduit to use as a “raceway” for my immediate electrical needs in the garage and also use this for a future 220 wiring run for the hot tub? If so what size would you recommend.

Thank you for your help
bill

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-05, 06:44 AM
Where exactly will the hot tub be? In the garage?

Are you installing a subpanel in the garage, or just one 120-volt circuit?

Old 10-03-05, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Where exactly will the hot tub be? In the garage?

Are you installing a subpanel in the garage, or just one 120-volt circuit?
The future hot tub pump and electrical subpanel will be in the garage - the hot tub will be between the garage and the house. The immediate need is for just one 120-volt circuit for garage lights and outlets.

Old 10-03-05, 07:04 AM
You are only allowed one electrical feed between buildings. So if you put in a 110-volt line today, you'll need to pull it back out again when you put in your hot tub. So you might just want to plan and install now for your future needs.

To size the conduit properly, you'll need to anticipate your total future need, the hot tub plus all the power you'll need ever in the garage.

Old 10-03-05, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
You are only allowed one electrical feed between buildings. So if you put in a 110-volt line today, you'll need to pull it back out again when you put in your hot tub. So you might just want to plan and install now for your future needs.

To size the conduit properly, you'll need to anticipate your total future need, the hot tub plus all the power you'll need ever in the garage.
Thanks John for your reply.
So if I am going to need outlets, indoor and outdoor garage lights, freezer, refrigerator and a 220v hot tub --- what would the electrical supply wires/conduit be for about a 20 foot underground run?

bill

Last edited by dogstyler; 10-03-05 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-03-05, 07:45 AM
I advise an 1-1/4" PVC conduit.

Old 10-03-05, 07:46 AM
I was remiss in not reminding you that you should consider a conduit for communication cables.

Old 10-03-05, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by PATTBAA
I was remiss in not reminding you that you should consider a conduit for communication cables.
Thanks Pattbaa

any recommendations for the size/type of junction box(s) to use on the house and garage?

bill

Old 10-03-05, 08:55 AM
A junction-box would be used for a "transition" from cable-to-raceway (PVC)--- the cable-conductors would splice to the individual raceway conductors in the J-B.

Is this the thrust of you question ???

Old 10-03-05, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by PATTBAA
A junction-box would be used for a "transition" from cable-to-raceway (PVC)--- the cable-conductors would splice to the individual raceway conductors in the J-B.

Is this the thrust of you question ???
I won't be installing any communication cables -- only electrical. I am wondering what size j-box you would recommend to attach to the garage and house which I will attach the conduit to.

Old 10-03-05, 09:06 AM
If you are going to go through the work of digging a trench to bury conduit, bury two pieces of conduit at least a foot apart so that you can (in the future) install low voltage cables (telephone, coax, cat 5, etc.).

Old 10-03-05, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
If you are going to go through the work of digging a trench to bury conduit, bury two pieces of conduit at least a foot apart so that you can (in the future) install low voltage cables (telephone, coax, cat 5, etc.).
Thanks Bob ----- what size pvc would you recommend?

bill

Old 10-03-05, 10:14 AM
Go with 1.25 inch.

Old 10-03-05, 01:42 PM
What's the square footage of the garage.

Most hot tubs require a 50 amp 240 volt supply. Add the fridge, freezer, lights, receptacles, power tools, etc, etc...and I'd install a 100 amp panel.

Most inspectors permit the conductors listed in Table 310.15(B)(6) Conductor Types and Sizes for 120/240 Volt, 3-Wire, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and Feeders for sub panels. #4 Copper or #1 Aluminum or Copper-Clad AWG hot conductors are permitted for a 100 amp sub panel. Ask your electrical inspector what he wants installed.

Old 10-03-05, 04:20 PM
Don't forget that when you are figuring all this you will also need to remember your grounding requirements for this detached garage. I agree you should simply think of the future and do a 100A panel in this Garage. Provided you have the ABILITY within your existing dwelling panel to do so.

Nice to have...but you need to know you can HAVE it......if you know what I mean.