problem with 2-prong outlet

Old 10-04-05, 07:06 AM
hebeasley
Visiting Guest
problem with 2-prong outlet

Am trying to sell my mother's house built in 1956. Inspector reports that both sides of all 2-wire recepts are "hot". All recepts work fine. Is it possible for that age of home that one side could be 220v and the other side is 110v? I am trying to work with inspector from long distance and cannot visit the house personally.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by hebeasley
Inspector reports that both sides of all 2-wire recepts are "hot".
Is your mother living in this house? Does she use electriciy? Lights? Appliances?

If she is using ANY receptacles and not burning out light bulbs or destroying the appliances plugged in then the statement above is clearly wrong.

I suspect that the inspector does not know what he or she is talking about.

Old 10-04-05, 07:13 AM
hebeasley
Visiting Guest
all lights and recepts are working fine and have been for 30+ yrs

Old 10-04-05, 07:21 AM
maybe the inspector meant that all the recepacles are "hot" meaning that they have power? Or did he specifically state as an electrical problem needing correction that both sides of the receptacle are "hot"?

Old 10-04-05, 11:07 AM
What type of testing-means is he using? The ONLY truely accurate test would be testing-for-voltage with an accurate VOLTMETER AT the receptacle terminals.

Possibly you could locate an electrician in the area who can perform the required test with the necessary reliable instruments.

"2-wire" receptacles suggest a POSSIBLE, but not definite Grounding-problem,but a Grounding-problem IS NOT an in-correct voltage-value problem, as the H-I has determined???? You MUST distinguish between these two problems to avoid confusion.

Old 10-04-05, 01:45 PM
I agree with the assessment that the inspector probably doesn't know how to test these properly.

Old 10-04-05, 05:54 PM
I might wager the inspector was using a non-contact voltage tester. My Greenlee version has given me these types of false alarms many times, and I usually use the Fluke version because of that. But when tested with a real voltmeter or solenoid-type tester or even with a plug-in receptacle tester, all show normal.

I agree you need to ask him what he was using to test it, and then let us know.