Outlet/Switch covers

Old 10-04-05, 08:50 AM
jojowolf
Visiting Guest
Outlet/Switch covers

I live in NJ and am redoing my kitchen. I am doing a lot of the work myself, but have a contractor helping me with some things I cannot do. The contractor installed some new outlets behind the stove, under the sink near the disposal and behind the refridgerator to plug in these appliances. I noticed that when he connected the stove he did not put a plate over the outlet. I asked him about this, and he said that since the box was plastic and not metal , he didn't have to install the switch plate.

This doesn't seem safe/right to me. It wouldn't be a big thing to install a 20cent cover (which I will do), but I am just wondering if what he said is correct. Does anyone know what the code really is? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 09:21 AM
Tell the electrician to read Articles 406.4 and 406.5 in the 2005 NEC.

Old 10-04-05, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The outlet needs a plate.

Old 10-04-05, 10:15 AM
"Installed outlets behind the stove" --- possibly what he installed were outlet-BOXES for receptacles.

'he connected the stove"---- if there is a receptacle for the stove, you simply insert the cord-plug into the receptacle for the "connection"

"didn't install the switch-plate"--- a switch behind the stove?

"box was not metal"--- if this is "rough-wiring", i.e., wiring installed with exposed studs, he MAY have fastened a plastic outlet-box for a receptacle which will be connected after the wall-finish is applied. A metal "plate", which is a "rough-cover" ,is only necessary for metal outlet-boxes.Plastic outlets boxes do not need a "plate"

Old 10-04-05, 12:18 PM
jojowolf
Visiting Guest
Everyone - Thanks for your replies.

PATTBAA - You are basically correct. He installed the plastic outlet boxes and also put in the receptacles. After that he just plugged in the cord from the stove into the (open) receptacle. Same thing with the refridgerator. I would have thought he should put a plate or cover over the receptacle (whether the outlet box was metal or plastic) before plugging in the appliances. I wasn't sure what the code said, though, and just wanted clarification. Basically are you saying it doesn't need a cover? Thanks.

The other 2 responses seem to think it needs a cover. Thanks.

Old 10-04-05, 12:27 PM
If the walls are finished then covers are needed.

What Pat is saying is that covers are not needed if the work is at the rough in stage and the boxes are plastic.

Old 10-05-05, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
If the walls are finished then covers are needed.

What Pat is saying is that covers are not needed if the work is at the rough in stage and the boxes are plastic.
Covers ARE required if the receptacles are being used (which they are).