Replacing fuse box with breaker panel

Old 10-04-05, 10:09 AM
diymiss
Visiting Guest
Question Replacing fuse box with breaker panel

Just wondering how hard it is for a novice to change a fuse box to a breaker panel, adding a few circuits as well. My boyfriend and myself have experience installing light fixtures, dimmers, GFCIs, etc. but not much beyond that. Do you know of a step by step guide available online?

I'd be grateful for any and all advice.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 10:22 AM
I don't recommend it. Get some bids.

Old 10-04-05, 11:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A service replacement/upgrade is not a novice job at all. Only very experienced electrical do-it-yourselfers are in a position to do a service change without a licensed electrician. In fact, many areas of the country require that a professional do a job like this.

You should get three bids from reputable electrical contractors. You should expect up to $1,000 for just a service change (fuses to breakers) and up to $2,000 for a service change and upgrade (fuses to breakers +more power supply). A good electrician should be able to complete this job in a single day, but don't be surprised if it takes 8 hours. This varies by region and specific job, but those prices should be in the neighborhood.

Old 10-06-05, 07:20 AM
diymiss
Visiting Guest
I'm in Canada and have been told my brother-in-law who does renovations that electricians rarely even return his calls for work he needs done. He said that they mainly do work in commercial buildings and don't like to do residential work. I don't know if it's the same in the US? Anyway, I will take your advice and get someone who knows what they're doing to do this job.

Thanks!