Switch Problem

Old 10-04-05, 10:50 AM
WIll5437
Visiting Guest
Switch Problem

I installed a switch, and now i cant turn the light off. I flip the switch, and the light stays on. Is the switch broken or did i wire it wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 11:27 AM
None of us can answer that unless you supply more information. We need to know how you installed the switch.

What existed before you installed the switch, and how did you install it. Be as specific as possible. Yes, switches can be bad, but I suspect you wired it incorrectly.

Old 10-04-05, 11:48 AM
WIll5437
Visiting Guest
the switch has a power outlet, and also a on and off switch at the top. There are 3 wires, red, black and white. I put the red and black one on teh gold screws, and the white one on the silver screw. The switch might be faulty because i tried it before, and it didnt work since i wired it incorectly.

Old 10-04-05, 11:52 AM
Be more specific.

Describe ALL the wires and all the connections in the box.

Are you saying that this device is a combination receptacle and switch? If so then it has four screw terminals. How did you connect to them?

Where do these red black and white wires come from? What do you expect this switch to control.

Unfortunately none of can read minds and we cannot see your setup.

Old 10-04-05, 12:16 PM
WIll5437
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by racraft
Be more specific.

Describe ALL the wires and all the connections in the box.

Are you saying that this device is a combination receptacle and switch? If so then it has four screw terminals. How did you connect to them?

Where do these red black and white wires come from? What do you expect this switch to control.

Unfortunately none of can read minds and we cannot see your setup.
it does have 4 screws, 3 gold and 1 silver. The wires come from the wall, and they are connected by looping them around the screws, and then tightening the screw. There are 3 wires, black red and white. Black and red went to a gold screw, and the white one to a silver screw.

Old 10-04-05, 12:21 PM
Be more specific.

There are two gold screws on one side of this device, and one gold screw and one silver screw on the other side. Which gold screws did you connect the wires to?

Did you add any other wires to this?

Where do the wires come from, and what are you trying to accomplish? Do you want the switch to control this receptacle? Some other device?

Old 10-04-05, 12:33 PM
WIll5437
Visiting Guest
thanks for your help, Yes there are 2 screws on each side, 1 silder and 1 gold, and then 2 gold on the other side. The red and black wire go to the gold switches on the other side, and the white wire goes to the silver one. The other gold one is left alone. I am trying to make the bathroom light go on and off. On the side that has 2 gold screws the red wire is on the bottom screw, and the black wire is on the top screw. the light in the bathroom is on BUT IT WONT TURN OFF, even when i turn the switch to the off position. I am suspecting the switch to be broken.

Old 10-04-05, 12:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with the switch. The wiring diagram that came with it will tell you how to wire it. You wired it so that the switch is useless and does nothing.

If you want the receptacle to always be hot then make the following connections:

Connect the black wire to the side with the two gold screws. There should be a gold tab connecting the two metal screws, so it doesn't matter which screw you use. Connect the red wire to the gold screw on the side with the silver screw. Connect the white wire to the silver screw.

If you want the receptacle to be switched along with the light then reverse the red and black wire.

If you end up with backwards behavior from what you want then reverse the red and black wires.

Now when you are all done, go and buy the same device but in a GFCI format. You don't want to use the device you have unless GFCI protection is provided somewhere else upstream on this circuit.

Old 10-04-05, 12:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I highly doubt the switch is broken; it would be very rare for a switch to fail in the on position, especially a new one. For many of the installations out there, you would connect the white to the silver screw, the red to the gold screw on the same side as the silver and the black to either of the gold screws on the other side.

Old 10-04-05, 12:43 PM
WIll5437
Visiting Guest
im 16 years old, and im trying to fix this switch... Please turn the lingo down. Im just trying to make the swtich be on, and off, and not die in the procces.

Old 10-04-05, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by WIll5437
Please turn the lingo down.
What did you not understand?

Old 10-04-05, 01:28 PM
WIll5437
Visiting Guest
Thank you for all your help, i fixed the switch, i did not understand some of the things racraft said, buts its over now, im happy, my mom will be pleased i saved her $300, Thank you.

Old 10-04-05, 05:51 PM
WIll5437,

Please help me understand what words I used that you didn't understand. I tried to make my directions as plain as possible AND still cover all bases. Apparently I goofed. My apologies.

Old 10-04-05, 08:02 PM
WIll5437
Visiting Guest
dude... ur soo nice... wow, GFCI format i meant to say word. Its ok, u helped me a lot, saved me around 300 bucks, and now i know how 2 fix them, so i can make $. TY MAN.

Old 10-05-05, 04:24 AM
Ground Fault Circuit Interupter....
Helps ya from gettin all dead and stuff...

Remember young master luke....sometimes a little knowlege is a dangerous thing....

Last edited by Stevetra; 10-05-05 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-05-05, 09:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor, and it is a special type of receptacle that reduces electrocution hazards in bathrooms, kitchens and other places where water and electricity can accidentally come together and kill someone. In fact it is legally required by electrical codes that newly installed receptacles in bathrooms have GFCI protection.

I suspect you bought one of these:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...P-L&lpage=none

And you should have bought one of these:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...M-L&lpage=none

I think you said it was a bathroom light. If so, I strongly recommend that you replace the standard switch/receptacle with a GFCI model. Not only is it legally required, but it is much safer.