old wiring, used ceiling fan

Old 10-05-05, 02:09 PM
shelley h
Visiting Guest
old wiring, used ceiling fan

im replacing the overhead light with a ceiling fan only no light there is only a hot (black) and a neutral (white) coming out of the ceiling the ceiling fan i have has a black white and red wire plus the ground what do i do with the red also it has a pull chain no switch id appreciate any help thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-05, 02:14 PM
Please use punctuation in your posts. It makes them much easier to read and understand. Capitalization would be nice too, but at least please use punctuation.

Do I have your question correct? You have a new fan that has red, black white and ground wires. In the ceiling you have black and white only. Is this correct?

By the way, don't even consider installing this fan if the box has not been replaced with a fan rated box. If this is an original box, it most likely cannot support a fan, and the fan will pull the box out of the ceiling, creating a dangerous situation and possible fire.

Old 10-05-05, 02:25 PM
shelley h
Visiting Guest
old wiring/ used ceiling fan

Sorry about the typing. Not really used to it. Yes, it is only black and white out of the ceiling. There is not a box. i have secured the fan to the joist so there should be no problem there. I just want to know if I can wire this because there is no red wire coming from the ceiling.

Old 10-05-05, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have to add a box, and it has to be rated for ceiling fan installations. They sell them at all of the big home centers; i recommend a "puck" style to mount to the bottom of a joist. The electrical connections need to be made inside an electrical box.

Once you get the box situation corrected, connect both the red and black wires from the ceiling fan to the existing black wire using a wire nut. Also connect the existing white wire to the white from the ceiling fan and connect the ceiling fan ground wire to the metal box using a screw.