new outlets in CBS

Old 10-05-05, 05:48 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
new outlets in CBS

Ok, i've got some new/remodel construction at my home. The wall is concrete block, exposed (no stucco) inside and outside. I'm putting in 1/2" EMT down the block cells to single gang handy boxes for receptacles, lighting, etc. The tie beam above is not yet poured. Now, is the best way to hold the box to actually imbed the box in concrete? I can pour the cell full of quick cure concrete. A good idea? Any other options?
Question 2: Is there any issue running EMT INSIDE the (not yet poured) tie beam, daisy chaining several boxes (keeping <360 deg of bends)? There would be 10 to 15' horiz runs of emt.
Question 3: Best way to attach conduit clips and boxes to concrete block; Remington power actuator/Hilti gun, OR, Tapcons?
thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-05, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Consider using something other than handy boxes. They are not very handy. They are too small for almost anything useful.

Sorry, I can't really answer your questions.

Old 10-07-05, 08:39 PM
I don't think it would be a problem, after all the wires would then be in solid concrete, which would be a great fire protecion material should somethign go wrong. You might consider larger conduit. Keep in mind that once the concrete is poured, that's it - it's not like being able to rip out drywall and patch it up should you need to work on the wires. At least with fatter conduit it would give you room to work to pull new wires thru later if need be. Ultimatly I would check to make sure this is OK code wise with the concete work. It sounds ok electically, but the concrete inspecotr might have something to say about it.

As for ataching the boxes I have used the Remington power nails before. They work fine, jsut use a medium shot. (about #5) Normally that works find, however sometimes you will have a nail that just doesn't quite go all the way. In that case use a lower load like a 2 or 3 for a second hit on the nail. If you use another 5 shot it WILL send the nail through the block. Stay away from the heavy shots (7, 8 ect) as those will always shoot the nail through the block.

Old 10-07-05, 09:27 PM
I agree with John, dont use handyboxes.Even the deep ones will be too small for 4 #12s & receptacle.A good supplyhouse will sell you conduitboxes designed for use in poured concrete/ block walls