Subpanel in shed

Old 10-06-05, 08:50 AM
brian5
Visiting Guest
Subpanel in shed

I have searched past posts on this topic, and it seems that the solution depends on each individual circumstance. So if I may present my situation, and get your advice. Here are as many specifics that I can think of:
I want to run power from my house to my shed. The shed is about 100 feet from the house, but wiring route would not be direct because of obstacles (deck, tree roots, etc) Total run would be closer to 150 feet. Service to the house is 200 amp circuit breaker. There are about 8 open slots on the main panel. Power needs for shed: some light fixtures, possibly electric heat, fridge, outlets for power tools. My thought was to install a subpanel in the shed. Lines to be buried 2 ft underground, in conduit. What I understand so far is that I should use unsheathed wire in the conduit.
Secondly, I currently have a spotlight on the exterior of my house that is controlled by a switch. I would like to install a second spotlight on the shed that is controlled by the same switch. Is this possible?
Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-05, 09:13 AM
(1) Yes, you will need a subpanel for your shed. If you use conduit, use three #6 copper wires plus a #10 ground. If you skip the conduit, use 6/3 UF-B. If the conduit is PVC, minimum burial depth is 18". If UF-B, minimum is 24". In any case, use a 60-amp double-pole breaker in the main panel. Install a grounding rod at the shed, and keep the neutrals and grounds isolated in the subpanel.

(2) Yes, just run #14 (two insulated plus ground) wires from the existing light to the new light. You can even put it in the same trench, or the same conduit as above.

Old 10-06-05, 10:18 AM
brian5
Visiting Guest
Thanks John! If I use conduit, I will have a total of 7 wires running inside-4 for the subpanel and 3 for the spotlight. Is 3/4" conduit sufficient? Do I need to transition to sheathed ROMEX inside the house and shed? Or is this why it's better (easier) to use UF-B? If I wanted to run a phone line out there, can I run that in the pvc?

Old 10-06-05, 10:35 AM
You cannot and should not run a phone line (or any other low voltage line) in the same conduit as electrical lines. This would be a code violation and would seriusly degrade the voice (or other) signal. Run a separate conduit for these lines, at least a foot away from the conduit for the electrical lines.

Old 10-06-05, 11:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by brian5
Is 3/4" conduit sufficient?
No, you could use 1" PVC, but 1-1/4" will be easier to pull the wires through and allow for a larger service in the future.

Do I need to transition to sheathed ROMEX inside the house and shed?
You can, but don't need to. I would probably make the run all UF-B or all conduit and THWN, but not mixed. Every splice point is a potential failure, so I prefer to have none in feeders.

If I wanted to run a phone line out there, can I run that in the pvc?
No, run a seperate conduit for low voltage cables or just use a good cordless phone with a seperate charging base in the garage.

Old 10-07-05, 06:22 AM
brian5
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice!

Old 10-08-05, 08:22 AM
bigblock
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by brian5
Thanks John! If I use conduit, I will have a total of 7 wires running inside-4 for the subpanel and 3 for the spotlight. Is 3/4" conduit sufficient? Do I need to transition to sheathed ROMEX inside the house and shed? Or is this why it's better (easier) to use UF-B? If I wanted to run a phone line out there, can I run that in the pvc?
I just did (4) #6 in a 1" without any problems. If you have a long run though, that could give you problems. The longest straight run for me was about 30 ft.