Electrical inspection preparation with existing circuits

Old 10-06-05, 01:03 PM
dkcall
Visiting Guest
Electrical inspection preparation with existing circuits

I'm running new lights off of an existing circuit. The circuit needs to be kept live during the time I'm working on the project. (Not the time when I'm working on the electricity per se, but during drywall hanging, etc.) How do I prepare the junction between existing and new for the rough-in inspection? I'm inclined to run the wire right up to the existing box and just leave a loop hanging there to be connected when the finish work is done. Is that correct?

For totally new circuits, do I wire everything in the box and just leave the breaker off, or do I leave the wire disconnected entirely (for rough-in still)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-05, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The inspector will recognize that you need power during construction, so just go ahead and hook up what you need. Be aware that installed receptacles, switches and fixtures interfere with drywalling and painting, so you won't want these things in place on the actual wall you are drywalling or painting. You'll need temporary lights on extension cords from somewhere else.

It's always a good idea to discuss with your inspector what he/she wants to see on rough-in. As a general guideline, anything with sufficient access so that it can be inspected at final doesn't need to be in place during rough-in. In each junction box, however, the inspector will want to see everything connected that can be connected without the switch or receptacle. The only wire ends that should be left are those that are going to actually be connected to the switch or receptacle.

Panel connections not needed for constructions should generally be left unconnected for the rough inspection. All sheathing and wires should be stripped and ready.