Where can I find a neutral wire?

Old 10-06-05, 11:31 PM
DIYaaronr
Visiting Guest
Angry Where can I find a neutral wire?

So I just bought the Leviton 6124H 24hr programmable timer for an outdoor lampost light. I spent about an hour trying to hook it up and realized that I do not have a neutral wire. The toggle switch that I tried to replace only had two black wires and a green ground. I guess my question is did I just blow $50 on a timer I cannot use?

The switch resides in a 4 gang panel next 2 regular single toggles and a 3-way switch. Is there any chance I can find a neutral wire somewhere in the box or maybe the 3-way switch and use it for this timer?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-05, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is possible that there is a neutral wire in the box. You will have to look and see. However, the neutral needs to belong to the same circuit as the light is on. You cannot just find any neutral.

Don't look for a neutral at the switches. Neutrals aren't connected to regular switches. Look for a neutral in the back of the box, connected to one or more other neutrals.

They make programmable timers that do not need a neutral. You should have looked at your wiring first, and bought the timer second.

Old 10-07-05, 07:13 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
If your switch had two black wires on it then there should be two white wires connected together in the back of the box. If there are no whites then you must have conduit. They don't make cable with two black wires. With conduit you can pull yourself a white neutral wire from where ever the black wires come from(should be the light).

Old 10-07-05, 08:57 AM
DIYaaronr
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks for all your help!

After reading the above posts, I was able to find the neutral wire in the back of the box and successfully wire the timer. It was a (much) bigger project than I had imagined. I would not have been able to do it without the advice I received here.

Thanks again.