Temporary Power at construction site


Old 10-07-05, 07:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Temporary Power at construction site

I'm having a house built and need to install temporary power for use during the construction. There is a utility pole on the construction site with a meter box/breaker box already installed. I believe what I need here is 110 and 220 breakers (one each), a couple waterproof boxes (one for 2 110 outlets, one for a 220 outlet) and a short bit of plastic pipe to connect it all up. Oh yeah, the outlets or the breakers need to be GFCI.

Anyone ever do this before? Am I missing something? What size 220 outlet should I use?

Thanks for the help,

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-05, 07:38 PM
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 131
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The standard in my area is two 20 amp 120 volt circuits and and one 20 amp 240 volt circuit. Each 120 volt breaker feeds a 20 amp GFCI (NEMA 5-20R). The 240 volt circuit uses a 20 amp 240 volt GFCI breaker (pricey) and a NEMA 6-20R receptacle.

For MacMansions, my "sawpoles" have eight 120 volt single receptacles(NEMA 5-20R), all on GFCI breakers, two 20 amp 240 volt receptacles (NEMA 6-20R, each on a separate GFCI breaker), one 30 amp 240 volt receptacle (NEMA 6-30R, on a GFCI breaker) and a 50 amp 240 volt receptacle (NEMA 6-50R, on a GFCI breaker). The separate receptacles are due to the numerous people working at the same time. Not using duplex receptacles prevents one craft from tripping a breaker (of GFCI) that someone else is using. It also virtually eliminates a breaker trip for overloads.

In some locations, the sawpole gets inspected by every inspector when he visits the site (building, mechanical, plumbing and electrical) because of several accidents that happened several years ago because workers (primarily carpenters) would get into the panel to by-pass the breakers.

Last edited by alittle; 10-07-05 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 08:25 PM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 52
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you doing the electircal yourself? If not you electrician should be providing the temp pole.
Old 10-08-05, 11:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
alittle - thank you very much. That was just what I needed

tpaairman - yes, normally you would expect to see the overall electrical contractor do the power pole. However, we are working with a builder that is probably best described as a "discount" builder. There are three builders like this in our area. They have a short catalog of plans for houses (all under ~2200 sqft) that in appraisers terms are of average to good quality. By keeping the number of models short and discouraging plan changes they can deliver a house for ~$45 /sqft. Costs are also kept low by shifting some of the "busy" work to the owner. I am responsible for permitting, site prep, power, water, sewer, excavation, foundation backfill, interior/exterior paint, porches/decks, concrete outside the foundation wall, and even the porta potty. So the bottom line is that I have to deliver temp power and water to the site. In this case the water is already there and there is a utility power with a meter/breaker box ~15' from the planned foundation wall. So the contractors I had out to bid on that piece of work all looked at me strangely and asked why I wasn't doing it myself. So here I am.

Thanks again everyone!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: