Upgrading Service

Old 10-07-05, 07:57 PM
Upgrading Service

I have a 100amp service (Murray)

I want to upgrade to 200 amp....what size wire would I need and should I stay with a murray panel...Does the Elect co hook up the meter or do I...

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tearflop

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-05, 08:21 PM
Before proceeding with your service upgrade I must ask.... How much experience doing electrical work do you have? Replacing a service can be complicated & extremely dangerous if you dont know about code requirements {NEC & local} & how to install the service safely.I would call a pro {get atleast 3 estimates} & you'll get peace of mind knowing that its done right.

Old 10-07-05, 08:33 PM
Im not an expert by no means.....but I have wired new construction additions rough in and completion, rewired rooms. Ran sub panels, but never upraded a panel...

Tearflop

Old 10-07-05, 08:51 PM
Depending upon where you live will determine who supplies the meterbox.In all of New Jersey the meter is given to the contractor by the utility. In Philly the all of the material {meterbox too} is gotten at the supplyhouse.In most cases the utility is only responsible for the service at its "connection point"Is this an aerial or underground run? In an underground the utilitys responsibility ends at the meter. In an aerial the utility will handle up to where the servicecable gets connected to the lines coming from the transformer.What type of servicecable is most common in your area {copper or aluminum}?