tapping into existing wall plug

Old 10-08-05, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tapping into existing wall plug

Hi,
Just a quick question. I am going crazy trying to find somewhere to tap into to run a wire into the attic and hook up a ceiling fan n mother's bedroom.
Could someone please tell me if/how I can do this.???
There is a wall plug which I removed and in the back all(4) push in receptacles have a wire. The screws are empty on the side. I realize whoever did the wiring used the push in holes on the back, but can I use the screws to hook up another tap? That would mean 3 wires coming into that socket......I HOPE I explained myself. This seems the easiest way to run the wire to the attic.
Also if I can, how would I do this(using connectors?)
Thanks
George

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-05, 03:22 PM
No. You should remove the "backstabbed" wires. If this is a regular duplex receptacle, you would wirenut all the black wires together with a 6" pigtail which will connect to your dark-colored screw. Wirenut all the wite wires together with a 6" pigtail which will connect to the light-colored screw on your receptacle. You will more-than-likely need to replace the electrical box with an extra-deep box in order to meet boxfill requirements. Wirenut all the grounds together with 2 pigtails--one to the receptacle ground screw, one to the ground screw on the box.

Old 10-08-05, 04:34 PM

I understand everything except, oh no, I think I just got it.......you mean remove the wires that go into the back of the receptacle and connect the blacks together with a 6" wire(which I connect to the gold screw, and do the same with the whites, and the same with the grounds???
Is that right?
Thanks
George

Old 10-08-05, 05:12 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Yes, remove the push in wires. Those pushin wire connections a known to be bad. They often give loose connections.

Old 10-08-05, 05:49 PM

I understand now....wasn't sure what was meant by pigtail.....but I realize that they are just 6" peces of wire that help hook things together and attach to a screw.

Another question if it's proper.. I have a wall switch that is connected to a receptacle on the wall. When I use the tester light, and put the ends onto the 2 gold screws on the switch(with the switch off)< THE TESTER LIGHTS UP> If I do the same thing with the switch on, the tester does not light up. What does this tell me. This receptacle is not related to my queston in the beginning of my thread.
Thanks
George

Old 10-08-05, 07:58 PM
To answer your original question, although the other have already done so. Legally you can use both the back stab connectors and the screrw terminals. However, you should not do this for the reasons mentioned.

Your experiment tells you that the switch is working properly. However, you could have figured this out without removing the switch, by simply plugging something into the receptacle and flipping the switch.

Old 10-09-05, 05:17 AM
re: switch reply

For me this is a little complex asking, but I will try.

If I wanted to tap into the above mentioned wall switch. , could I pigtail into the wall switch to get power and use the switch to turn a ceiling fan on and off. Also how could I hook it up to get Non-switched power to the wall socket, but switched power to the ceiling fan?
Hope I explained myself.
If that can't be done, I will use my original plan which started the thread. But, the second option means less drilling.....thanks
George

Old 10-09-05, 06:46 AM
To answer your question properly, we need to know the wires at the wall switch. Open that box and tell us all the wires there, and how they are connected. Also tell uss the wires at the switched receptacle and how they are connected.

Old 10-09-05, 08:10 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
You can rewire the switch to give contant power to the receptacle and switched power to a new cable to the ceiling fan. How you rewire depends on where the oewr comes in, switch or receptacle. If power comes into receptacle then some rewireing at receptacle will probably be required.

Old 10-09-05, 09:24 AM

Thanks for everyone's patience. I have to go with original pigtail method. The only little problem that is creeping up is that the new(deeper) box I put in is stickng out a bit......any suggestions on covering it with a wallplate so it doesn't stick out as much? Maybe a decorative plate would be deeper?
Thanks, again.
George