Using 220 V stove outlet for dryer

Old 10-09-05, 08:16 PM
autobot333
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Using 220 V stove outlet for dryer

Hi!

Someone please tell me if this is possible: I bought a dryer to be installed on the second floor of an old home that does not have a dryer outlet. However, the second floor does have a 220 V 4-pronged stove outlet which I will not be using for a stove. I was thinking of replacing the stove outlet with a dryer outlet, using the same electrical box, wiring, and breakers. Is this possible? Should I change my breakers?

Thanks so much!

Vito

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-05, 04:24 AM
You would have to change the breaker and the receptacle to use this circuit.

Old 10-10-05, 09:41 AM
e40
Racraft - can you elaborate? What kind of receptical and breaker will need to be installed?

Old 10-10-05, 10:08 AM
An electric dryer needs a four wire circuit and a 30 amp breaker. Since the existing stove receptacle is four prong, I am assuming that the wiring can support it. You need to buy a four prong dryer receptacle and install it. The 30 amp breaker must be designed for your panel. Ideally, you should run a new circuit and leave the existing circuit intact.

One caveat. I sense that you may not own this house. if you are renting, then you can do nothing, and anything you want done MUST be done by a licenses electrician. If this is the case, contact the landlord. You may end up splitting the cost with him or her, or even paying it entirely, but at least you will get it done.