Putting my room on another circuit

Old 10-10-05, 09:03 AM
CORRY20
Visiting Guest
Putting my room on another circuit

I have a satellite radio in my room and when the microwave is on my signal goes away do to the power of the microwave.I was told if I put my room on a different circuit this would solve my promblem.How do I put my room on a different Circuit?Is this hard to do?Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-05, 09:16 AM
Something doesn’t sound right here. Most microwaves are in the kitchen, and most kitchens (and all up to code kitchens) have counter top circuits that don’t leave the kitchen and dining room. Are these on the same circuit? What two rooms are we talking about here?

Before doing anything, I would try several things. Plug your radio in using an extension cord so that it is a different circuit, move your radio so that it is in a different location and on a different circuit.

My suspicion is that you won’t be able to eliminate the interference except by moving the radio to a different location.

Old 10-10-05, 09:40 AM
CORRY20
Visiting Guest
The microwave is in the kitchen and the kitchen is right below me.I can't move the satellite antenna because it only works in one spot.I will try anything to get it to work.

Old 10-10-05, 09:57 AM
I think you are probably going to find that the interference is coming through the air and not the electrical wiring. Satellite radio signals operate around the 2.33 GHz range and most microwave ovens operate at a frequency around 2.45 GHz.

I would bet there is enough leakage from the microwave oven to interfere with the satellite radio signal. The frequencies are close enough that if the satellite receiver doesn't have a good recieve filter on it, it would look like in band noise.

Assuming the microwave is operating properly and isn't damaged in any way, you could to try to put some shielding material between the bottom of the antenna and the microwave.

Old 10-10-05, 09:58 AM
It sounds to me more like the microwave itself is the thing interfering with the signal. Microwaves use radio waves to heat food...so if your microwave is either old...with little shielding, or new and leaking...this is more likely your problem.
To verify, you can move the microwave to the other side of the kitchen, and see if your reception improves. If it does...buy a new microwave.

Old 10-10-05, 10:09 AM
CORRY20
Visiting Guest
I can't move it because it is bolted to the top cabinet.It's above the stove it's new http://products.geappliances.com/Pro...&SKU=JVM2050WH

Old 10-10-05, 10:16 AM
The fact that these are separate rooms on different floors leads me to believe that they are already different circuits. As such, it's almost certain that the problem is the proximity of the devices to each other. Shielding may help, but the best solution is to move either device.

Old 10-10-05, 10:19 AM
CORRY20
Visiting Guest
Is Their shielding if I can get to stop if their is leakage?Would the extension cord idea work?

Old 10-10-05, 11:51 AM
No, the extension idea won’t work.
It really has nothing to do with the electricity.
It has to do with radio interference.

I found several sites complaining of the same thing while searching for info on your problem…
It seems that the beloved microwave causes many problems through out the universe.

Do a google search on "Microwave oven interference" and you will see what I mean.

Old 10-10-05, 11:53 AM
CORRY20
Visiting Guest
Is their shielding I can buy?

Old 10-11-05, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shielding will not be that effective, because it will likely block just as much of your radio signal as interference from the microwave oven. The first thing you should do is move the antenna to a different location. Perhaps on the roof on the opposite side of the house. How good is your signal now; do satellite radio systems have a percentage meter like satellite TV? If you are already contending with a high noise floor or weak signal reception from poor antenna placement, it won't take much interference to lose what signal you have.

Next, evaluate the cable your antenna is connected with. Cheap coax with cheap connections will lead to a poor signal quality. Use some high quality coax (RG-6) with factory installed connectors. The stuff they sell for satellite TV systems is adequate; while the discount bin stuff is not. Make sure to use a continuous run of coax from the antenna to the reciever with no splitters, splices or junctions.

If a better cable doesn't fix the problem then you need to seperate the antenna and the microwave with more distance. Those are the only solutions

Old 10-11-05, 09:48 AM
Yes, you can buy microwave shielding or even microwave tuned absorbers, but they tend to be very expensive. What you could do for a cheap test is to try using tin foil. If you have a cabinet above the microwave, try placing a sheet inside on the bottom cabinet shelf right above the microwave.
And see if that helps any.

You could also try shielding the antenna, what you want to do is try to build a box or something similar out of the tin foil and put the antenna in it. The trick though is that the box has to be big enough to catch all the microwaves but not be so big that it will block the antenna's view of the satellite. It might be that just setting the antenna on a big sheet of tin foil will help, or you may need something like a cube with the top and a side missing - place the antenna in the cube with the missing side pointing out the window.

You just need to experiment. If you don't notice any change at all with the tin foil, you probably aren't going to notice any change by using specifically designed material either - the waves just maybe reflecting off of too many things in the house.

Good luck.

Old 10-11-05, 10:29 AM
CORRY20
Visiting Guest
I tried a extension cord but that didn't work even when the microwave was off.I think the extension cord is too long.I am going to try to put tin foil under my satellite radio to see If I can catch some of the waves.

Old 10-11-05, 10:37 AM
You won;t catch anything with the tin foil, or any shielding (unless you put it outside in the rain). The purpose of the shielding is to reflect the waves away from something else. In your case you want to block the microwave energy from the antenna.

Old 10-11-05, 10:41 AM
CORRY20
Visiting Guest
Is their something I can put on my floor to stop the waves.Now im confused.

Old 10-11-05, 11:29 AM
sgklein
Visiting Guest
Do you really operate the microwave oven that much? I know it interferes with reception, but it's usually only for a few minutes at a time...I don't know of anyone that operates a microwave 24/7. Just a thought...

Old 10-11-05, 11:45 AM
CORRY20
Visiting Guest
I live with other people and they use it also.

Old 10-11-05, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you tried to contact the satellite radio supplier. I'd bet that they have more than one antenna available. You need one which captures more of the satellite signal while rejecting some of the microwave interference.