Outside "old work" boxes?

Old 10-10-05, 10:34 AM
sammartin
Visiting Guest
Outside "old work" boxes?

I want to install an outlet on the front of my house for use on the porch. I have a line I can tap into with no problem, but I'm having a hard time finding an outside-rated box that will be (relatively) flush with the siding that I can install without having to take off excess siding to mount it.

Ideally, I'd like to find a deep old work box with with screw-tight flanges and the standard exterior cover. Do they make these? Alternately, would it be up to code to use a typical old work box with the exterior cover (includinig the gasket) and use a water-resistant sealant around any exposed edges of the box?

Thanks,

Sam

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-05, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by sammartin
Ideally, I'd like to find a deep old work box with with screw-tight flanges and the standard exterior cover. Do they make these? Alternately, would it be up to code to use a typical old work box with the exterior cover (includinig the gasket) and use a water-resistant sealant around any exposed edges of the box?
Sam
Yes to all these questions.

Old 10-10-05, 11:05 AM
sammartin
Visiting Guest
Bob, thanks for the answer. Since I haven't been able to find the outside box described at the local hardware store, I think I'll go ahead with my alternate plan.

Sam