Adding a dedicated outlet.

Old 10-10-05, 02:28 PM
Adding a dedicated outlet.

Hello,

I would like to add a dedicated outlet in my garage for my compressor I just purchased. It keeps tripping the breaker after a few minutes of filling the tank when the motor gets some load so the tank never gets to full working pressure. Is this something a DIY can do or best left for an electrician? I will use it in the basement also so I would like a dedicated outlet there as well. It's tripping a 15amp breaker switch.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-05, 02:55 PM
Is this an attached or detached garage? Assuming an attached garage, it is fairly easy to add a dedicated circuit, but for someone who has never done so before it may not be that easy. Do you have any experience running wires and connecting receptacles, etc? Also, what are the requirements of the compressor? Does it say what size circuit it should be installed on?

Old 10-10-05, 10:24 PM
It's an attached garage. I've done basic wiring but nothing too major. I have connected receptacles before though. The compressor specs says 120 volts AC, 15 amp motor.

Old 10-11-05, 05:34 AM
I suggest that you start with the book Wiring Simplified. It will help you in this little project.

I would add a 20 amp dedicated circuit for the garage. You can place several receptacles at various locations in the garage that are convenient. You need to run a new 12-2 wire from the main panel to the garage, and then around to each receptacle. How you run the wire depends on the exact configuration of your house and garage. Exposed wiring must be protected, so any 12-2 wire that is exposed should be run in conduit for protection.

At the main panel, buy and install a 20 amp breaker. The black wire goes to the breaker, the white wire goes to the neutral buss and the ground wire goes to the ground buss.

Old 10-11-05, 10:01 AM
Thanks racraft...Very helpful information! I'll try this little project over the weekend since I want to start working on finishing the basement

Dennis

Old 10-17-05, 12:17 AM
Upon further inspection of the garage I found that there was an outlet that was already added with a 20amp breaker. I'm not sure what else is wired to it but what happens is my compressor trips it. When the compressor is empty the power is sufficient to power up the motor until the recommended tank pressure. The problem is, when I'm using the compressor and the pressure drops to the point where the motor will turn on, to repressurize the tank, it trips the breaker.

What would be the best thing to do?

Thanks!

Old 10-17-05, 05:12 AM
For clarity, just a couple of questions.

1. You found another circuit in your garage on a 20 amp breaker, or is the same circuit you mentioned in your earlier post?
2. What else is on the circuit that your having problems with?
3. If it is an attached garage, is your breaker panel in the garage?

Old 10-17-05, 06:57 PM
Stevetra,

1. This is another circuit I believe because the outlet looks like it's been added after the drywall was put on and when I have the compressor plugged into it the compressor is able to stay on until the full tank pressure is reached. The other outlets will trip the breaker when the tank is about 50% full. Basically, when there is tank pressure the breakers trips when the motor tries to start. With zero pressure the motor turns on and is able to fill the tank.

2. I really don't know what els is on this circuit. I'll try to find out. Nothing stands out when it's tripped.

3. It's an attached garage but the breaker panel is in the basement about 35ft away I would guess.