14/2 20AMP 2nd Question

Old 10-11-05, 11:57 AM
sgklein
Visiting Guest
14/2 20AMP 2nd Question

Should have put this in the first, but what gauge is wire with a black cover? I know yellow is 12 and 14 is white now, but this is solid black.

And thanks for the prior posts...I'll replace the 20's with 15's and see how that goes. Not sure why he put in 20's...he didn't have anything that pulled that much power. Guess I'll have to run a dedicated line for the A/C...guess I'll also have to go through the whole house and see what kind of wire goes where so I can sleep at night!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-05, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by sgklein
what gauge is wire with a black cover? I know yellow is 12 and 14 is white now, but this is solid black.
Don't judge wire by the sheath color. While those colors you mention seem to be becoming standard, there are exceptions. Plus, colored sheath wire is fairly new. Older wiring was all white, and before that black fabric covered.

Bottom line. Don't judge by color. Read the label on the jacket or measure the wire. And I mean th wire itself, not the wire and the insulation. The insulation thickness has shrunk over the years.

Old 10-12-05, 04:56 PM
No guage specifies black. Black sheathing is usially on UF type wire, but it is not necessarily an indicator of it.

Old 10-12-05, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A bit of 70's romex had black sheathing.