Lighting in laundry room...

Old 10-11-05, 04:11 PM
Lighting in laundry room...

Time for another wiring project..

Our unfinished (no plans on finishing it) laundry room has one outlet. Tracing the wiring back to the panel (only 10 feet at most) it appears that outlet is the only thing on that 20amp breaker.

Thats all well in good, however the lighting situation sucks.. The current setup has a few flourescents connected via extension cord which hangs by the outlet, plugged in when needed. So you can see why I want something better..

Now, can I just replace that single gang box with a dual gang box, and in the second position wire in a switch to feed back out of the box to some permanent light fixtures?

Or do I need to install a junction box between the panel and outlet and take my lighting out of there?

Much thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-05, 04:27 PM
You cannot use this circuit for lights. It can only serve receptacles in the laundry. Find another circuit, or run a new one, for the lights you want to install.

Old 10-11-05, 05:56 PM
Since the panel is only ten feet away, you can install a new circuit and add lighting to it for about ten bucks. What a deal! Go for it.

Old 10-11-05, 06:40 PM
Is this standard code?
My laundry room light is on the same circuit as the recepticals. My house is 20 years old, but while I have the walls open...maybe I should add a circuit also.

Old 10-11-05, 07:01 PM
According to today's National Electrical Code used throughout the U.S., laundry area receptacles must be on a dedicated 20-amp circuit to themselves, with nothing but laundry area receptacles on it. I do not know when this code was added, so I don't know whether or not it was code 20 years ago.

Old 10-11-05, 07:57 PM
OK...fair enough.
With that said...if you had a 20 year old house, would you run another circuit?
What are the dangers associated with having the light on the receptical circuit?
Is it a matter of loosing the light in the laundry room should there be a tripped breaker, or is there something more serious?

Old 10-11-05, 08:29 PM
The danger is small as long as the resident has common sense. In cases where dedicated receptacle circuits are required, the usual reason (as far as I understand) is to ensure adequate power for the large receptacle loads so that you are not motivated to do something stupid like run extension cords from another room.

Old 10-11-05, 08:43 PM
Pat G
Visiting Guest
Go with the extra circuit. Keep to the code---it was written for the reasons mentioned above.

Pat

Old 10-12-05, 04:38 AM
See, I'm glad I asked.. I knew from a prior project that the laundry circuit couldn't extend out of the laundry room, but I didn't know it was for recepticles only..

Thanks for the advice

Old 10-12-05, 06:20 AM
Now the question...where to get the power...hummm

I have a bedroom next to the laundry...
I have a office beside the laundry.....
I have a Den....
I have a extra circuit feeding 2 lights in the garage...was hinda hoping to Keep that one in the garage.

I believe I will use the Bedroom Curcuit...everything is wired 12-2, so I shouldent have a issue with power in the bedroom.
I will leave the office circuit alone, ya never know when a microwave or mini fridge will wind up in there.

I wired my own basement, left some of the existing wire there, (like the laundry room), whats wierd is that with all I have upstairs, 3Bedroom, 2 Baths, Kitchen, Dining and Living. I wound up having more circuits in the basement. Maybe just over cautious, but it seems things have changed alot.

Old 10-12-05, 06:24 AM
Steve,

I wouldn't change anything just to change it or just to comply with today's code. If you install something new then by all means follow code, but I wouldn't move our laundry light off the receptacle circuit unless you are having trouble with the breaker tripping, in which case you may want to examine the appliances, as they may not be working properly.

Old 10-12-05, 11:35 AM
Good point,
I have changed enough things around to allow for ample light if the breaker were to trip. I have never tripped the breaker in the laundry room, and honestly, if a 40watt Florescent light was all it would take to throw me over the top...I am already in trouble.
I will wait and see how things go.