15 amp breaker with combo #12 and #14 wire

Old 10-11-05, 07:49 PM
vt432
Visiting Guest
Question 15 amp breaker with combo #12 and #14 wire

My contractor wired outlets in a new room with #12 wire I had accessible. He conveniently left for me to complete to the breaker box. I wanted him to use #14 wire for the outlet receptacles as I had already run two 15 amp breakers and #14 wire from the breaker box into the basement room to be finished out. I left the 14 in an overhead box to tie into the receptacles later.
My question: is there an approved use of the 15 amp breaker with the 14 wire feeding several receptacles which are wired in series with #12 wire?
I have always used 20 amp breakers with #12 wire and 15 amp breakers with #14? Would a 20 amp braker be ok to feed the receptacles even though #14 wire is leaving the breaker into the room and possibly connecting to the #12 wire and receptacles.
I am trying to avoid replacing the breaker and having to rerun the feed wire through the floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-05, 07:55 PM
Breakers are sized to be no larger than the ampacity of the smallest wire on the circuit. You may use a 15-amp breaker on any circuit that contains no wire smaller than #14. You may use a 20-amp breaker on any circuit that contains no wire smaller than #12.

Bottom line is that it is okay to use a 15-amp breaker on a circuit with some or all #12 wire, and it is not okay to use a 20-amp breaker on a circuit with any #14 wire at all.