Smoke coming from electric outlet


Old 10-12-05, 11:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Exclamation Smoke coming from electric outlet

I was using electric clippers this evening, which i have used many times in the same outlet. After pulling it out, my elbow gently knocked the small wall light that is plugged in on the upper outlet (of the 2), and smoke started coming out of the outlet, accompanied by a burning smell. The wall light was not turned on and hasn't been in a long time.
What happened? This is a GFI outlet in the bathroom. The light switch on the same box works fine, but we're afraid to test/touch the outlet itself.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-05, 05:21 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like there is a loose connection in the box and the heat caused by that loose connection burned the insulation.

Do not ignore this. Fix it now.

Turn off the power to the circuit. Open the box and inspect the connections. You may have to cut off the end of one or more wires to remove any damaged portion. Redo all connections in the box.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: