install sub panel for hot tub

Old 10-13-05, 08:43 AM
L. Valentine
Visiting Guest
Question install sub panel for hot tub

I'm try to install a gfi sub panel for a hot tub. my breaker panel is a
square 'D' but I don't know how to go to a sub panel so I can bring power to
a hot tub location and some 120v outlets Can anyone help? Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-05, 08:56 AM
What is the approx. distance from the Service-panel to the new S-P, and what is are the structural conditions between the two points? Will the wiring be routed across finished ( covered) walls and ceilings, or across exposed framing members? Where will the S-P be located?

You will need to select the best Wiring Method- PVC Conduit, Non-metallic cable ? --- and to determine the ampacity of the Feeder Conductors--- 40/60/100 amps?

Good Luc, & Learn & Enjoy from the Experience!!!!!!!

Old 10-13-05, 08:57 AM
Installing a sub panel, especially one for a hot tub, pool or spa is not a job for a first time do-it-yourselfer. There are numerous codes for pools and spas that need to be strictly adhered to. If you've done electrical work before and if you think you will be comfortable with this type of work then I suggest that you start by reading. Read at least two, perhaps three, books on wiring, specifically as it related to sub panels, pools and spas. However, if you havenít done electrical work before then I suggest that you hire a professional for this. Electricity can kill, especially in and around water.

Old 10-13-05, 09:22 AM
And visit the reference section of your public library and read article 680 of the National Electrical Code. There are many codes specific to hot tubs that don't apply to any other circuits, so most people are unfamiliar with them.

Ask yourself if you are comfortable with you, your family and your friends getting in a hot tub that you wired. As Bob says, hot tub wiring is best left to a pro or at least to a very experienced and well-read DIYer.