main floor rewire

Old 10-13-05, 03:04 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
main floor rewire

Hi,am planning to upgrade my maxed out panel to breakers finally,and figured that the time has come to rewire my main floor(70 year old wiring).

Looking everywhere ,here online,library etc ,I am having problems trying tofind info on laying out what I actually need or might need(living rooom,droom,spare bedroom,sunroom,hallwaysetc{no kitchen or bathroom yet}).

Example in living room should i keep alll electronics on a seperate line etc,or does the dining room need seperate outlets in case of extra coffee machines etc,or keep all light circuits off outlets etc.

Anyone recommend any good literature??thanks

And before anyone asks no I personally will not be doing it I know my limitations lol,but every electrician I talk to seems to contradict what the last one just told me,thanks

If necessary home is in Ontario Canada thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-05, 07:13 PM
J
There are two classes of information you need to know: (1) What the code requires, and (2) What constitutes a good design.

I can't speak to (1), because you're in Ontario. If an electrician is doing the work, you can leave this to to him/her. Kitchens, dining rooms, laundry rooms, and bathrooms are typical areas where there are a lot of rules.

A good design for you is personal to you and your lifestyle. You need to think hard and figure out what electrical equipment you will use where. Where will your entertainment go? Where will your computer equipment go? How much computer equipment and other electronics do you have and how much power does it use? Where will your furniture go, and where do you need lighting? Do you want wall sconces? Do you want a beer fridge? What other special appliances might you use? Be sure to leave enough power for portable appliances such as vacuum cleaners and hair dryers. If you want a heater in the bathroom, or in-floor heat, decide that now. Do you want ceiling fans, and if so, how do you want to control them? Do you want switched ceiling lighting, or switched receptacles (for table lamps). To prevent annoying light dimming, try to keep lighting on different circuits than receptacles (although it may not be feasible to achieve this completely, and it's really just an annoyance factor).

If you go to all the trouble of rewiring, get plenty of circuits and plenty of outlets, especially where you will need it most. For most people (people with limited budgets), there will be cost/benefit tradeoffs you will have to make. One of the reasons that different electricians give you different advice is that different electricians will be weighting cost factors differently. Make sure you communicate what is important to you, and what is worth extra money to you, and what would be nice but not all that important. Tell the electrician whether or not you have a large amount of electronic equipment and where it will go.

Most home electronics are not that sensitive to perfectly clean power, and hence don't usually require dedicated circuits.

Old 10-14-05, 02:36 PM
F
Thanks for the help