Dust in socket question

Old 10-13-05, 06:24 PM
Dust in socket question

Any problem from having dust in electrical outlets or in open holes in surge protectors/power strips? Been told no, cannot find internet advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-05, 07:36 PM
Not unless the dust is metallic like steel wool particles.

Old 10-13-05, 07:49 PM
nope, just regular dust. never cover unused outlets, so there you go i guess.

Old 10-13-05, 08:26 PM
If there's enough dust, then it could be a problem. Some kinds of dust are flamable.

Old 10-14-05, 05:32 AM
looks to be just regular accumulation of household dust. it's an apartment complex, so i'm sure that, oh, all the other apartments have some dust in their outlets also. so just from the air type dust accumulation, nothing like lint from clothes dryer type dust/lint massive buildup......

a friend suggested vacuuming out the outlets, but the imge of me doing that is too silly to imagine. plus, is that a safe thing to do? the outlet i see having the worst dust accumulation has had an alarm clock plugged into it for 9 months, and so far, have not had any issues. another friend advised me that plugs going in and out both push dust further in when plugged in, and conversely drag some dust out with them when unplugged. any thoughts on this? should i worry about more important things?

surge protectors have open unused outlets on them, ditto issue, regular dust in them, not really even visible, really, since i try to keep the apartment as clean as possible. thanks for all the comments, keep them coming!

Old 10-14-05, 05:34 AM
true or false- no plug in outlet= no power going through it

true or false- plug with some dust in outlet with low power device like an alarm clock in it = no problem, worry aout more important stuff!!!!!

Old 10-14-05, 05:35 AM
sorry to triple slam, but if there was grave danger in dust/plugs, etc. wouldn't ul or someone have spread that word.......or the information would likely be out there all over the web????