Hooking up dryer question

Old 10-16-05, 10:49 AM
JIM B.
Visiting Guest
Hooking up dryer question

I was just given a dryer that had only been used for a month. I went and got it and then tried to hook it up this morning.

The outlet in my laundry room is 3 pronged. The cord that was on the dryer was four pronged with the extra ground.

The dryer also came with a three pronged cord. I'm guessing that I can use the three prong but I'm going to have to ground it externally. I do not know what the standard is for doing this.

Also my washer has a small ground wire that is just screwed into the the hard cold water line, I'm not sure if this is OK either.

Please advise..

Thanks JIM

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-05, 11:06 AM
Regarding the dryer.

You must use the three wire cord. To do this you must make changes within the dryer in addition to just changing the cord. Consult the owners manual. If you don't have an owners manual then go on line to find one or contact the manufacturer. You could run a new circuit for the dryer if you want as an another alternative.

Regarding the washer.

It is no longer okay to ground a washer by connecting it to a cold water line. It was done years ago, but it was questionable then if it was okay or not. If the circuit is not grounded then replace the wire so that the circuit is grounded and then disconnect this improper ground.

Old 10-16-05, 11:20 AM
JIM B.
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply.

I love htis board...