Doing Bathroom Remodel, Questions about wiring

Old 10-16-05, 11:52 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Doing Bathroom Remodel, Questions about wiring

I started simply to fix a dry rot problem is the bath/shower, but now I need some help on the wiring:

The house was built in the early 50's, with a couple additions and remodels in the 60s. Beneath the bathroom walls I find power coming down from the attic to a junction box. The cable looks like early NM cable(no separate grounding wire). I assume this is the first service point on the circuit. (is this a correct assumption?/could there be other junctions upstream in the attic?) The three white nonmetalic cables coming off this junction are labeled 14-2. One comes over to another junction box that also serves as the light switch recep for the bathroom. At this junction box, a copper wire is affixed to the outside of the box. The line runs to the outside of the framing studs, and basically goes everywhere the service wires go ( two 3-prong receps and a light fixture.) and then down to the cold water line. In addition to the bathroom service, there are 2 other 14-2 NM cables coming out of this junction and going back into the attic.

So, my questions, is this viable grounding method? should I or can I improve on this? Is there a problem installing GFI to this configuration? Also, I want to do a built-in cabinet, and will have to rewire the run from the junction box to the recepticle and switched light to do so. Run 12-3 wire? Starting where? BTW, the attic is nearly impassible.

Any advice?
thx
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-05, 12:41 PM
P
What structural obstacles and difficuties would you confront in routing new cables from the Service-panel to the B-R?-- You will need a 12/2 cable for the B-R, and a 14/2 that will provide an Equiptment Grounding Conductor for the existing circuit.

If this is a 2nd-fl B-R, it's possible cables may be "fished" along side the plumbing waste-stack which extends vertically from the basment to the 2nd-floor.If you have acess to the stack, try dropping sash-chain down thru the wall that encloses the stack.

Good Luck, & Learn & Enjoy from the Experience!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-05, 01:55 PM
R
Remove this ground ASAP. It is against code and dangerous.

Redo the wiring completely. As Pat said, you need a 20 amp circuit (12 gage wire) for the bathroom, and either a 15 amp circuit (14 gage wire) or 20 amp circuit for the balance of the circuit.

Old 10-16-05, 01:57 PM
B
Assume the gist of your sugestion is that the current set up is bad? No other alternatives to running new cable?

It's a single story house with narrow crawl space under the house. The current service is run through a small attic obstructed by HVAC lines, so not certain new cabling is possible, at least via the attic. however, even if it was, I don't know enough to interpret your suggestion. You are suggesting 2 new cables, one serving as equipment ground for existing circuit? How would that (the 14/2) be wired to accomplish that??

Thanks again
Brian

Old 10-16-05, 02:03 PM
R
You are redoing the bathroom, so like it or not you have to bring it up to code. That means a new 20 amp circuit that feeds nothing else but the bathroom.

Our suggestion for the other circuit is to run a new cable from the panel for this circuit. I would suggest that you splice it in the attic. However, if the rest of this circuit is also not grounded, then just splice the two 14/2 ungrounded cables in the attic and be done with it.

Old 10-16-05, 02:07 PM
B
ok, it looks to me like I'm probably in over my head - time to call in an electrician.

Thanks to all
Brian

Last edited by bjs5334; 10-16-05 at 02:12 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 10-16-05, 02:46 PM
B
Bob, do current codes generally require each bath on a separate 20apm circuit, or permit 2 two adjacent baths on the same 20apm circuit?

Old 10-16-05, 03:50 PM
R
Bathroom codes are tricky.

You can have each bathroom on it;s own 20 amp circuit. Only one bathroom can be on each circuit.

Or you can have all the receptacles in all the bathrooms on a single 20 amp circuit and the lighting can be on other circuits.

Old 10-18-05, 05:10 PM
P
Bathroom codes are tricky.

You can have each bathroom on it;s own 20 amp circuit. Only one bathroom can be on each circuit.

Or you can have all the receptacles in all the bathrooms on a single 20 amp circuit and the lighting can be on other circuits.

That got me thinking. I ran a 12-2 wire 20 amp circuit to a bathroom (the wire only at this time) . There will be nothing on the circuit except for one GFI receptacle. Can I run the bathroom single light off another circuit (not the bathroom circuit) Or can I run the bathroom single light off the bathroom circuit? I can do it easily off another circuit, but if the bath circuit is permissible, what is the easier way to do that since I only have the 12-2 wire coming in? Junction box?

Old 10-18-05, 07:20 PM
R
Since this 12-2 wire feeds only the bathroom GFCI receptacle, you can use it for the light in this bathroom. Or you can run the light in this bathroom off another circuit, such as the hall light circuit.

Old 10-19-05, 06:14 AM
P
Thanks a lot