Receptacle box size question

Old 10-16-05, 12:42 PM
Receptacle box size question

What's the minimum required box size for a outlet receptacle and (5) 4+1 #12 conductors?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-05, 12:47 PM
Is this a "Code-quiz " related question, or one directed at a practical concern?

Old 10-16-05, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Skramy
(5) 4+1 #12 conductors?
Explain this please. Is this in conduit?

Each hot or neutral count as one.
ALL the grounds together count as one.
ALL internal clamps together in a metal box count as one.
EACH device counts as two.

Each #12 wire requires a volume allowance of 2.25cu/in.

Plastic boxes are marked with conductcor fill and volume.
Metal boxes are taken from 314.16(A).

The rest is math.

Old 10-17-05, 07:52 AM
I want to add 1 outlet to the end of a circuit (not bath, not bedroom not kitchen) The circuit is GFI protected, 20A, with #12 wire. Walls are finished. Can't remove the old recpt box (the recpt I'm tapping into). Probably nailed to the stud. The box is metal and appears to be 14 cu.in. I can, however, fish a wire thru one of the clamps in the box, so wire access is no problem.
So....., I've had a couple opinions that I can and can't add any more #12 wire into this size 14 box. So, what's the deal?

Old 10-17-05, 08:20 AM
A metal outlet-box with clamps suggests that the Wiring Method is Armored Cable, which means that the cables have no Grounding-conductor, so the capacity-limit of the box depends on the # of nsulated conductors + one device only.

IF this is a "gem" box with a width of 2-1/4", AND IF there are two 12/2 cables clamped to the box, adding another 12/2 cable = six #12 condutors + 2 clamps + 1 device.

If "appearance" is not a concern, use a Wire-Mold extension box ,and a W-M outlet-box. Fasten the back-plate of the X-B to the existing G-B, then fasten the W-M outlet box to the back-plate. The over-all depth will provide the needed cubic-inch capaciity.

Old 10-17-05, 08:22 AM
A box can always be removed, even when attached to the stud. The box is sometimes destroyed in the process, but it can be removed. In addition, drywall can be repaired.