Wiring 220v baseboard in parallel ?

Old 10-17-05, 05:20 AM
croelle1926
Visiting Guest
Wiring 220v baseboard in parallel ?

Wiring multiple sections for 220v electric baseboard ?
I've got (5) 3 foot sections (750w ea.) of electric baseboard that I am told must be wired in parallel. I have installed a 23a rated double line break thermostat. This is a supplemental heat for a now 3 season enclosed porch.
The sections will have to be seperated by 5' - 7' spacing , because of exisiting duplex outlets (thus the answer to why I am running 3' sections) and I am told not to run them under a duplex outlet).
I ran a double 20amp 10/2 w/grd line to the supply line end of thermostat (2 wires). The second line out of the thermostat (2 wire) will, I assume ,be the load line to the heaters. Brand of heaters are made by Qmark and their wiring diagram has me a little confused.
How do I wire all 5 sections in parallel to work off one wall thermostat?
Any help would be appreciated.
Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-05, 05:24 AM
Run the wire to the first heater, then to the second, then to the third, etc. Most electric baseboard heaters allow for connections at either end with pass through, so you may be able to go into one end and out the other to the next heater, although it may be easier just to make all your connections at one end of each unit.

Old 10-17-05, 06:00 AM
croelle1926
Visiting Guest
If you have the time and go to this link it shows wiring diagraham pages for the units I am installing. The only thing to remember is that I am not using individual intergrated mounted thermostats, I am using one wall mounted thermostat, using (5) 3' sections. (total of 3750w)
I am not quite sure if this agrees with what you stated because I am not sure if you considered the thermostat
Thanks again
Charlie
http://www.shopfnc.com/2500wiring.pdf

Old 10-17-05, 06:05 AM
You have two options. Ignore the internal thermostat completely (bypass it) or simpy use it, but set it at the highest temperature and allow the wall mounted thermostat to contro, the heat.