Paddle fan

Old 10-17-05, 10:53 AM
Paddle fan

I'm installing a paddle fan and want to control the light and fan independant of each other. I bought a combination 2 single pole switch. In the ceiling box there are 3 sets of wire 1 12-3 and 2 12-2. All blacks are tied together and all whites are splice and tied to the light with a pigtail. The red wire is spliced to the hot in the fixture and connected to the switch. Power is feed from the ceiling box to the switch and then feeds the room receptacles.( the black is pigtailed to the switch). is it possible with this current configuration to operate the fan and light independly at the switch? should I use 12 or 14 gauge wire? The breaker is 15 amp..

P.S there are two rooms controlled by this 15 amp breaker...we have had no problems with the breaker tripping...but it seem like alot on 1 breaker!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-05, 11:12 AM
You cannot control the fan and light independently with the current wire setup, at least as I interpret the setup. You need another wire from the switch back to the ceiling box. Whether this is a lot for the breaker or not depends on what is done in the rooms. If you have two people running hair dryers at the same time then it it a lot. If, however, there are a few lights, radios and other stuff then it is not a lot.

Old 10-17-05, 11:25 AM
A smart wall control such as the Hunter 27186 will allow the control you want. It sells for about $40. It has one piece that installs at the wall and another that installs at the fan.

Old 10-17-05, 01:05 PM
Is there any way for me to change the configuration in the ceiling box that would allow me to run a 3 wire down and control the light and fan seperately at the switch?...

Old 10-17-05, 01:06 PM
If you add wires you can do anything you want. but as I read your post, you presently don't have the wires to do what you want without adding more.

Old 10-17-05, 02:10 PM
As Bob says, everything is possible with enough new wire.

You already have three conductors (plus ground) from your ceiling box to your wall switch. If you want to do this strictly with wires, you need four conductors (plus ground). Use the same gauge as you already have.

Old 10-17-05, 02:55 PM
thanks ....do they make a 12-4 wire?

Old 10-17-05, 05:44 PM
They do. It's usually sold as 12-2-2 or 12/2/2. However, two runs of 12/2 is usually cheaper. Or just add a 12/2 run to the 12/3 that's already there.

Old 10-17-05, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by ThomasB
Is there any way for me to change the configuration in the ceiling box that would allow me to run a 3 wire down and control the light and fan seperately at the switch?...
Originally Posted by ThomasB
Power is feed from the ceiling box to the switch and then feeds the room receptacles.
So it's a single switch? Not two switches mounted in the box? How many cables/wires are there in the switch box?

Old 10-17-05, 07:07 PM
I'll bet I can answer those questions for Thomas. Check me out.

Yes, it's just a single switch.
No, not two switches in the same box.
There are two cables in the box. One is a 12/3 and one is a 12/2. The two white wires are connected to each other. The two black wires are connected to each other, and pigtailed to one screw on the switch. The red wire is connected to the other screw on the switch.

How'd I do?

Old 10-18-05, 07:50 AM
Lol!!

Originally Posted by John Nelson
I'll bet I can answer those questions for Thomas. Check me out.

Yes, it's just a single switch.
No, not two switches in the same box.
There are two cables in the box. One is a 12/3 and one is a 12/2. The two white wires are connected to each other. The two black wires are connected to each other, and pigtailed to one screw on the switch. The red wire is connected to the other screw on the switch.

How'd I do?
Guess my reading comprehension is weak on monday evenings.

I'll take some courses to improve it!

Old 10-20-05, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your help I used 2 12/2 and it worked perfect.