More Garage Electrical Questions

Old 10-17-05, 02:07 PM
d2frette
Visiting Guest
More Garage Electrical Questions

original post = http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=236062
background basics = new garage, installing electrical and lighting

So, more questions:

1 - Would it be wise or unwise to install smoke detectors in a garage? Can I put them on their own electrical circuit or share a circuit with lights or recepticles, since they are not required by code?

2 - Can I install conduit for parts of a circuit (to make it easier to pull wires in difficult places in the future), but not install conduit for the entire circuit?

3 - Can I install "loose" wires that are capped, but not hooked up to anything? This applies more for low-voltage, but I may decide to do so for some high-voltage. Imagine that I want to install 20 canned ceiling lights, but my budget only allows me to do 10 or 12 of those lights. I'd still like to leave wires in the garage ceiling so that I can install them later when/if the budget allows. They would not be live. They would be capped. This is a hypothetical question. So, if you need more info, I'm sorry. I don't have any.

Thanks again,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-05, 02:21 PM
1. I wouldn't put smoke detector in a garage, at least not one that will be used as a garage.

2. Yes.

3. You can do just about anything you want with low voltage wires. As for regular line voltage, this is a gray area. An inspector won't want to see it, but may let it go if you explain it. You might be better off running empty conduit which you can add wires to later on.

Old 10-17-05, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by d2frette
Would it be wise or unwise to install smoke detectors in a garage? Can I put them on their own electrical circuit or share a circuit with lights or recepticles, since they are not required by code?
I wouldn't install any; they will false trip far too much.

Can I install conduit for parts of a circuit (to make it easier to pull wires in difficult places in the future), but not install conduit for the entire circuit?
Yes, you can, but you will probably find conduit quite a bit more expensive than romex. The only case where this may be appropriate is for your 220V machinery circuits where a vertical run of 3/4" conduit from the attic and pre-installed 4-11/16" steel box may be useful.

Can I install "loose" wires that are capped, but not hooked up to anything? This applies more for low-voltage, but I may decide to do so for some high-voltage.
Line voltage wiring must be terminated with wire nuts inside a proper electrical junction box with an appropriate cover. They cannot be loose in a wall or ceiling. Low voltage you can do whatever you want to with; electrical code does not regulate low voltage circuitry.

Old 10-17-05, 02:30 PM
d2frette
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 10-18-05, 08:26 AM
For future lights, you can just leave a loop of wire in the ceiling, no need to cut/cap them, except on the end of the run.