Wiring in a new Microwave/Hood

Old 10-18-05, 07:57 AM
HPISavage
Visiting Guest
Wiring in a new Microwave/Hood

I am getting new appliances and am getting a microwave/hood over my range. I took out the old hood and found that the wire goes into the wall and disapears. Can I just cut and cap that wire and use the same outlet as my new range?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-05, 08:04 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
No, you cannot abandon a wire inside the wall unless it has been disconnected at both ends so that it cannot be energized inside in the wall. You have to either find the other end of the wire and disconnect it or install a junction box in the wall and terminate the wire inside it.

Range hood microwaves require a dedicated circuit, so you cannot use the existing circuit unless no other devices are on the circuit. This is almost certainly not the case in the kitchen.

The microwave rangehood has large power needs, so a dedicated circuit is essential; it probably says so in the installation manual for the microwave. The typical installation is to run 12/2 romex and put a simplex 20A receptacle in the back of the cabinet above the microwave on the right-hand side.

Old 10-18-05, 08:16 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The answer to your first question is definitely no. The answer to you second question is perhaps, but probably not, although you wouldn't want to run the wire down the wall to the receptacle.

All live wires must terminate in a permanently accessible junction box. In order to just abandon the wires powering the old range hood, you would need to install a junction box that you can access without having to remove anything permanent. This may or may not be possible, depending on how the wire is run.

What you could do is to find the other end of the wire and disconnect it there. You could then abandon the wire in the wall. You should know what circuit this hood was on, and what else is on the circuit. If you don't then you need to figure this out now. This information could save your life, and you should already know this for each and every circuit in your house. Once you know what else is on the circuit you can usually with a just couple of tries find the other end of the wire. It can then be cut at that box and pushed back into the wall. As long as both ends are abandoned in the wall and do not connect to any live boxes or circuits the wire can be left disconnected in the wall.

It is also not likely you can use this same wire for the microwave hood. Devices like this require plenty of power and usually call for a dedicated circuit. The best solution is to run a new 20 amp circuit just for this range hood.

Now the second question. Can you use the range circuit? That answer is maybe. I am assuming you are talking about a gas range. The receptacle for this range is most likely behind it. Your microwave hood will want a receptacle above it, usually in the cabinet that is placed there. Now if the circuit that powers the range is a dedicated circuit then there may be enough capacity for both the range and the microwave hood. It would depend on the circuit size and the electrical requirements of each. But even so, you would need to extend the circuit, adding a second receptacle inside the cabinet above the microwave hood. If the circuit that powers the range is not dedicated to the range then donít even consider this. And, if the microwave hood states that it requires a dedicated circuit then you want to give it a dedicated circuit. Period.