Adding a 240v outlet

Old 10-18-05, 08:20 AM
Adding a 240v outlet

How hard would it be to add a 240v outlet? I have a utility shed with its own fuse panel. How can I tell if there is enough load going to the panel to handle adding a 240v outlet? What is involved in adding the outlet? I assume adding a new fuse and of course the outlet.

I need it to run a 5 gallon air compressor. Or would I be better off buying a new compressor that runs on 110? The compressor is over 10 years old but in good condition.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-05, 08:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to know three pieces of information: 1) what capacity is the panel in your shed now? You can determine this by reading the amperage rating on the breaker/fuses feeding the subpanel. 2) What size is the motor on the air compressor? 3) What other loads are connected to your shed subpanel?

Also, you need to know if your shed subpanel is 240V panel. If it is a 240V panel, it will be fed by a double pole breaker or two fuses from the main panel.

Old 10-18-05, 08:37 AM
You need to check one other place. You need to look at the feed for this shed panel. This is probably your main panel. What size if the breaker or fuses that protects the wire feeding this shed? This figure is more important than the same figure for the shed panel. The two figures may be the same or the figure from the main panel may be less. The lesser figure is the important one. For example, you may have a 60 amp panel in your shed, but only have 30 amps feeding it.

Old 10-18-05, 09:42 AM
The main fuse panel that feeds the sub-panel: 60amp. The space is for two breakers but only one is there.
The sub-panel: Single-phase 240, 100amp mains with three 15 amp fuses installed rated for 110/240.
The shed has 4-5 110 outlets and a ceiling fan/light.
Compressor motor: 5hp