Possible to change a light socket into a plug outlet?

Old 10-18-05, 04:25 PM
tones
Visiting Guest
Possible to change a light socket into a plug outlet?

The reason I would like to do this if it is possible is to install a ceiling mounted projector....I would like to remove the light and create an outlet out of the power source to plug in the projector.

Does this sound possible?

Thanks,

tones

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-05, 04:43 PM
Not a problem. Easy to do.

Old 10-18-05, 04:47 PM
d2frette
Visiting Guest
I hope this light isn't on a 3-way switch.

Old 10-18-05, 04:47 PM
tones
Visiting Guest
Any ideas how?

I heard I might have some trouble with the ground connection that I will need for the projector.

Old 10-18-05, 05:10 PM
d2frette
Visiting Guest
Are you sure you want to connect a projector to lighting circuit? You should check to see what else is on the circuit and make sure that sounds ok with you. My friends have a really nice projector wired up to outlets for a GameCub, XBox, PS2, DVD player, and A/V controller. However, I don't think anything else is on that circuit.

You should check because abrupt power loss for a projector, I believe, is hard on the bulb. If not for that reason, then check to make sure that if someone plugs in a vaccuum or the like, you not only can't hear your movie, you won't even be able to play it!
----

If the light is not switched, it's really easy.

If the light is switched, it's not a big deal. I think this is where grounding issues come in to play. You can put in an ungrounded outlet (or fish thru new cable from the switch junction), but be careful that this will work with your projector's cord. You'll need to unhook all the wires from the switch, then reconnect the power source wires to the wires headed to the fixture. I'm not sure what to do with the leftover ground wire. I'm sure a Mod will chime in! You can either take the switch out of the wall and replace with a faceplate, or leave it non-functioning in the wall.

If the light is 3-way switched, then we need more information about this setup.

The fixture is probably braced in the middle (maybe not the exact center) of two beams/joists. Are you willing to put the outlet next to one of the beams as opposed to where the fixture is? This may not be disireable if you're wife is worried about the "balance" of the ceiling. If not, then you need to add a cross beam and mount the outlet to the cross beam so that it is "balanced."

I hope this helps.

- Dave

Old 10-18-05, 06:55 PM
For Clarity...are we talking one switch and one light?
If the room has one switch and one light, I would assume you could remove the switch and cover the box with a solid cover
Then get an duplex outlet and a round cover (like those used in floors and stages) and be done with it.

Old 10-18-05, 07:26 PM
tones
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the feedback guys.

There is one switch that controls 2 lights. I want to remove 1 of the lights and replace that with an outlet to plug the project into.

Starting to seem like alot of work that is over my head though....I may have to call the electrian for this.

Old 10-19-05, 08:50 AM
d2frette
Visiting Guest
Conceptually, you need to understand that the power cable comes to the switch, from there it travels to light1, from there to light 2.

What you are posing is taking the power source which is already connected to the switch, and additionally connecting it directly to light 1 or 2, then adjusting the existing wire depending on which light in the series you remove. This is totally feasible. You need to let us know the distances between each of the 3 points in question, and which light in the series you want removed.

Let us know if you want to do it. You can. I think you should if you have the time and patience.

- Dave

Old 10-19-05, 02:14 PM
tones
Visiting Guest
Sounds good....I might be up for the challenge.

The first light is on the ceiling approx 12 feet from the light switch. The second light is in the same room but about 8 feet from the first light.

The first light is the one I want to replace.

Thanks.

Old 10-19-05, 03:50 PM
how many wires are in the switch box?
I am trying to determine if the power is run to the box..then the switch, or if the power goes to the switch, then the box

Sometimes the circuit feed comes to the light box, and a single 2 conductor cable is run down to the switch to switch the black wire.

Old 10-20-05, 07:59 AM
It really depends where the power comes from. If from either light box, then it could be done, in theory, but in practice it should be with the HT circuit, and protected such as the bulb is protected.