strange noise coming from wall...

Old 10-19-05, 06:22 PM
spartanic
Visiting Guest
strange noise coming from wall...

Got a little problem. There's this electrical device on our wall. Its got knob with numbers. Only problem is that we have no idea what it does, only thing we know is that it started making this annoying noise lately. Every hour it would make a high pitch noise. But now its become every 15 minutes. I removed it from the wall but its electrically wired to the house. Anybody have any idea what this thing is?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-05, 06:31 PM
It sounds like a mechanical timer. Can you turn the knob and will it count down to zero? These are typically used with fans, so that you can allow the fan to run for some period of time, say 20 or 30 minutes.

Old 10-19-05, 06:38 PM
spartanic
Visiting Guest
A fan? Funny thing is that there is no fan up here. We tried turning the knob to zero but it still makes that noise. Can i just disconnect from the wall?

Old 10-19-05, 06:38 PM
Can you take a digital picture, post it to one of those free photo hosting sites, and post the link here?

Exactly where in your house is this thing?

Old 10-19-05, 06:49 PM
Can you figure out which circuit it is on by turning off breakers? What else on the same circuit? What part of the house is it in?
Could be a seized motor of some sort that is over heating from not turning. Sump pump? fan from some sort ventilator like a radon system?

Old 10-19-05, 07:01 PM
spartanic
Visiting Guest
funny but I was looking at it and then all of a sudden it made that noise again but this time it wasn't coming from that device i was talking about, it was actually coming from our ceiling mounted fire alarm, lol. So either its malfunctioning or what i dunno. Any idea why the fire alarm is making noise?

Old 10-19-05, 07:19 PM
You need a new 9-volt battery for your smoke detector.

Old 10-19-05, 07:42 PM
Dude...you cant give up on the knob...lol...what does it do?
I must know!
Possibly a fireplace blower?
Those little 2 pole motors lock up, it could be a speed control for that....