Amperage Question

Old 10-20-05, 08:20 AM
Travis Bickle
Visiting Guest
Amperage Question

Hello, new and very glad I found the forums! And I hope this posts in the right forum. When testing electric motor (12v) on the bench, how can I tell how many amps it is pulling. Can I use my fluke multimeter for this?
Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-05, 08:30 AM
You need to have an approximate idea of how many amps the motor is running, and what amp ranges are available on your meter. If appropriate, then the meter leads are plugged into jacks probably labeled COMMON and AMPS. The meter leads are then placed in series with one of the motor leads. If the meter is analog, you need to carefully observe proper polarity in the hookup.

Be very sure what you are doing, because this measuring current incorectly usually results in a fried meter.

Old 10-20-05, 08:44 AM
Travis Bickle
Visiting Guest
Thank you, my meter is a clamp meter fluke #36, it is digital and also has 36" long red & black probes. The motor is a blower for a automobile heater and it should not pull more than 15 amps but I think it is.
Thank You.

Old 10-20-05, 10:52 AM
If you have a clamp meter you don't have to go to all that trouble. Just set it to measure DC current and clamp on to one of the power leads.

Old 10-20-05, 04:30 PM
Go to FLUKE.com on the net, they have a manual for the # 36 that may-may help.