Grounding/Bounding question

Old 10-20-05, 10:34 AM
Grounding/Bounding question

Currently my house built in 1970 has no wire running from the panel to the copper water pipe. It has all copper water pipes. I was going to run one from the neutral bar to within 5 feet of where the copper water pipe enters the house.

My telephone and satellite are currently not attached to a grounding rod or anything.

Would it be OK to bond the satelite and the phone to the water pipe within 5 feet of where it enters the house? Would a ground rod be a better idea or a good addition to add to the above idea?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-05, 11:36 AM
For many homes built in the 70s, the supply pipe from the street was PVC, even if all the inside plumbing was copper. Do you know if your supply pipe from the street is also copper?

If you don't have any grounding rods, adding two (at least 6 feet apart) would be an excellent idea.

Old 10-21-05, 10:56 AM
The supply is copper as well. So it is OK to put the satelite and the phone on the water pipe and add 2 ground rods as well?

Old 10-21-05, 11:27 AM
Assuming this is the panel containing the main disconnect for your whole house (i.e., where the neutrals and grounding wires are bonded), then your plan is sound. Use #4 copper for the grounding conductor to the water pipe and to the grounding rods. Make sure that the top of the grounding rods are at or below ground, and that the connections to them are irreversable.

Old 10-21-05, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by John Dillinger
The supply is copper as well. So it is OK to put the satelite and the phone on the water pipe and add 2 ground rods as well?
You can (and should) ground your satellite dish coax feed to the primary grounding system using a coax grounding block and length of wire. The ground for the coax should connect to the same place your electrical service ground connects to: the entrance water pipe or a grounding rod.

Do not alter the existing grounding or add any new grounding to the phone service. It is the responsibility of the phone company to do so.