Barn Elecrical panel

Old 10-20-05, 12:19 PM
Barn Elecrical panel

I plan to install a seperate panel in my barn, a minimum of 100 amp, this service will be on a seperate meter from the house. My question there is no water to the barn thus no water pipes to ground to. Will a copper ground road be sufficient to properly ground the panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-05, 12:25 PM
No. But two might be.

Old 10-20-05, 12:33 PM
Thanks, I will use two, what size bare copper to i need to run from the panel to the rods?

Old 10-20-05, 12:38 PM
Two ground rods 5/8 inch by 8 feet long at least six feet apart, connected using #6 (I believe) copper wire.

Last edited by racraft; 10-20-05 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-20-05, 01:14 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are two rods better than one long one? My local power company uses a single rod to ground their electric pole at my house. They came around a few years ago and went down something like 25 to 30 feet with it to improve lighting protection. TIA

Old 10-20-05, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Polydorus
Just out of curiosity, why are two rods better than one long one? My local power company uses a single rod to ground their electric pole at my house. They came around a few years ago and went down something like 25 to 30 feet with it to improve lighting protection. TIA
A longer rod is probably better in reality as is it more likely to reach wet/moist ground, but it would be very difficult to drive such a long rod without special equipment and a bucket truck. Two 8 foot rods are much easier to install and one 20 foot rod. Of course that depends wholly on the geology of the surrounding area; many localities have different grounding rules based on the regional soil properties.

The best type of building grounding is actually a UFER where the rebar of the cement foundation is all bonded together with the grounding system.

Old 10-22-05, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the info. The power company didn't use a 20 foot rod. I think they were 8 feet and they used a coupler of some sort. They had a portable compressor and a jack hammer in they back of a pickup. They placed a coupler on the existing rod and kept adding sections until the rod stopped moving downward. They said this was indicated when the rod stopped and the top began to spread out. BTW this was Consumers Power about 25 miles south of Lansing.

Old 10-22-05, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We have to just about be neighbors then. I'm in Mason, so you can't be too far away at 25 miles south of Lansing.

Old 10-22-05, 05:24 PM
I drive ground rods in with my palm nailer, works like a charm.

Old 10-23-05, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks
We have to just about be neighbors then. I'm in Mason, so you can't be too far away at 25 miles south of Lansing.
Just over the line into Jackson County.