Question about breakers

Old 10-21-05, 08:12 AM
April_S
Visiting Guest
Question about breakers

Hey, I'm new here, this is one of the most useful sites i've found
anyways, I'm having some electrical work done on my house and someone told me that I need to have my refridgerator, Computer stuff, Air Conditioner (110v), and deep freezer all put on seperate breakers. Is this realy nessessary? thanks.

Old 10-21-05, 08:20 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And just what did they mean by "need to have...all put on separate breakers?"

There is no rule stating that anything existing needs to be modified.

While it is certainly a good idea to have one's freezer and refrigerator each on their own breaker, there is no requirement stating this. It would generally be done in new construction, but even that is no guarantee, especially if a freezer circuit is not part of the plan. If you aren't having trouble with breakers tripping and if you arenít remodeling or doing other work where these appliances are located then I would do nothing.

As for your computer, the same rule applies. If you aren't having trouble and aren't remodeling that area then leave well enough alone.

Old 10-21-05, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Necessary? Probably not. Nice? Yes. It helps avoid the possibility of nuisance breaker tripping and you don't have to think what's turned on when you plug something else in.

Doug M.

Old 10-21-05, 12:04 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
The only one that might be necessary is the air conditioner, but that depends on the size of the A/C and the size of the existing circuit. It is a good idea to have all of the appliances you mentioned on dedicated circuits, but it is not required for you to do so.

Old 10-22-05, 05:34 AM
April_S
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be saving some money

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: