One line 2 Switches

Old 10-21-05, 09:23 AM
dsb2a
Visiting Guest
One line 2 Switches

I want to install a switch for a bathroom fan next to the light switch that is already there. The current setup is 14/2 going to the light switch. Am I correct in connecting a 2nd black to the hot post and then connecting it to the 2nd switch? Does the 2nd switch also get neutral and ground? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-05, 09:32 AM
Is there only one 14-2 in the swich box currently (with the black & white wires both connected to the switch)? If so, you cannot get power there for the fan as there is no neutral.

Do you have attic access to this area?

Old 10-21-05, 10:02 AM
dsb2a, clearly this project cannot be done without more wiring in the wall. There are many ways to do it, and the best way for you depends on your situation. Is the fan new or existing? If existing, how is it controlled now? Is it, or will it be, in a separate fixture from the light, or will the fan and light be in the same fixture? If a separate fixture, how far away will it be from the light? Is the light on the wall or the ceiling?

Chirkware's question is important too.

Old 10-21-05, 10:15 AM
Have you considered replacing the light with a fan light combo?

Old 10-21-05, 10:29 AM
dsb2a
Visiting Guest
Yes, only one 14/2 and both wires are connected. I want to have the fan seperate from the light. I have attic access. The fan is a ceiling mount that will be new (no existing fan). The light is wall mounted and the fan will be about 4 feet away from the light.

Old 10-21-05, 10:36 AM
You have several choices.

1) Run 14/2 from the light to the new fan, then run a switch loop for the new switch.
2) Replace the 14/2 to the switch with 14/3 and then run 14/2 from the new switch to the fan.
3) Replace the 14/2 to the switch with 14/3 and then run 14/2 from the light to the new fan.

To answer your original question, neutrals only connect to switches when the switch has an integral lamp in it, and even then not always.

Old 10-21-05, 10:45 AM
Probably the easiest way to go is to run a 14-2 from the light to the fan, and 14-2 from the fan to the switch box.

At the light, connect the new 14-2's black wire to the black wire from the power feed. This wire should currently be wire nutted to a wire (probably the white wire) from the existing 14-2 that goes to the switch. Take that wire nut off and add this new black wire to the other two. Take the white wire and nut it together with the other whites. Similarly tie the ground in with the other grounds.

At the fan, connect the black from the 14-2 that comes from the light to the white wire of the 14-2 that goes to the switch (this white wire should be "reidentified" as hot using a black magic marker or electric tape). The remaining black and white wires connect to the fan, as does the ground.

At the (new) switch, connect the new black to one screw, white to the other, and ground to the green screw.

Do you plan to replace the existing switch box with a two gang box for both lights, or just add a separate one gang box for the new switch?

Old 10-21-05, 11:01 AM
dsb2a
Visiting Guest
I am replacing with a two gang box.

Old 10-21-05, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by dsb2a
I am replacing with a two gang box.

In that case, you might consider options 2 & 3 that RACRAFT suggested.

The biggest advantage to option 1 (which is what I detailed in the previous post) is that you only need 14-2, not 14-2 AND 14-3. However, if you have both types of cable already, you can keep the clutter in the boxes down a little using option 2 or 3.

Old 10-21-05, 11:13 AM
dsb2a
Visiting Guest
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 10-21-05, 11:15 AM
If you need connection help, be sure to tell us which of Bob's options you are going to use.