Wiring for Jacuzzi bathtub

Old 10-21-05, 10:45 AM
James
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Wiring for Jacuzzi bathtub

I am doing a remodel on my master bathroom and adding a Jacuzzi whirlpool bathtub. Can I run the power for the bathtub pump off the the last socket in line (which is a GFI) and also the pump has a screw coming off of it for a ground what do I ground it to? ANY ADVICE WILL HELP

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-05, 11:18 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
No, it cannot be on the same circuit as receptacles. The motor needs to be on it's own dedicated GFCI circuit. As for the rest of the circuit installation, you need to get the requirements from the installation manual of the tub.

The typical case for a whirlpool tub is that you install a blank face GFCI somewhere in the bathroom near the tub and feed the tub motor from the LOAD side of that GFCI. The circuit should be 20A run with 12/2 NM cable. The lug on the motor is for connecting a bonding wire, usually #8 copper all the way back to the panel box. Your local inspector may enforce different requirements, so check with him too.

Since you are remodelling the bathroom, you also need to bring the rest of the bathroom up to code. The bathroom needs a 20A GFCI protected receptacle within 36" of the sink that supplies nothing else but the bathroom.