REwiring the whole house

Old 10-21-05, 02:25 PM
watchdogps
Visiting Guest
REwiring the whole house

Does anyone know where I can find ballpark figures on having a whole house rewired? This wont be a DIY project, my husband doesnt play with electricity! We are looking to rehab a fire damaged house and it will need all new wiring (i dont think it was an electric fire, but the wiring is ancient anyway). Its a small house, about 900 SqFt.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-05, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The price will be widely different for open walls or for installation in existing walls. If the drywall is all ripped down, as I would expect in fire-rehab, an electrician will probably charge the same rate as new construction -- probably a few thousand dollars. If the walls are still up and drywalled, the price will be much higher, and the electrician will want to bill for time and materials.

Is a service upgrade also included in this project? If so, it will probably add $1000 - $2000.

Old 10-21-05, 03:09 PM
watchdogps
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by ibpooks
The price will be widely different for open walls or for installation in existing walls. If the drywall is all ripped down, as I would expect in fire-rehab, an electrician will probably charge the same rate as new construction -- probably a few thousand dollars. If the walls are still up and drywalled, the price will be much higher, and the electrician will want to bill for time and materials.

Is a service upgrade also included in this project? If so, it will probably add $1000 - $2000.
Thanks! The walls that are still there are damaged, so they will be torn out anyway. Will probably need an upgrade too. We cant even get to the basement, but this isnt a house anyone soent any money on in the past, so I kinda doubt it has anything new!