wiring disorders 3 switches no power, no lights

Old 10-21-05, 04:58 PM
WayneBo
Visiting Guest
wiring disorders 3 switches no power, no lights

I think i asked this before, I have a couple of outlets and 3 light fixtures and 4 switches all on the same circuit. The 4 switches control the 3 fixtures plus one of the outlets. Nothing works at all . This happened suddenly around the same time huge construction equipment began rolling down the street and vibrating the house. I have checked that the breaker wasn't tripped, and reset it all the same. all 3 lights are connected properly as are the switches. outlets as well. could the circuit breaker simply have failed? The wiring in the house is aluminium

any help here would be great

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-05, 05:17 PM
While it is possible that the breaker failed, it;'s not likely. A more likely explanation is that a connection has worked loose.

But you should be able to figure out where the problem is, more or less. use a two wire tester and verify power at each location. Somewhere there will be no power.

Old 10-22-05, 05:45 AM
WayneBo
Visiting Guest
Is there a difference between switces/receptacles for aluminium /copper wiring

Old 10-22-05, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by WayneBo
Is there a difference between switces/receptacles for aluminium /copper wiring
Electrically no, physically yes. Some devices can accept aluminum or copper wires, others can only accept copper wire.

Old 10-22-05, 10:43 AM
WayneBo
Visiting Guest
okay then, so how can i tell the difference with say light swithces purchased at a home reno store?

Old 10-22-05, 12:26 PM
Switches made for alumium will have a stamp on them ALU or possibly CO/ALU if for both copper and aluminum.