Plastic electrical boxes with stripped threads

Old 10-22-05, 01:00 PM
Plastic electrical boxes with stripped threads

Several of the plastic electrical boxes in my house have stripped threads, so the electrical outlets can no longer be tightly attached to the wall. Is there some way I can repair the boxes myself or must they be replaced? If replacement is needed, is it a do-it-yourself job, or does it require an electrician?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-05, 05:24 PM
It usually works to use larger screws. Or you might try some epoxy. If those fail, you can remove the box by cutting through the nails that hold it to the stud, and then install an old-work box to replace it.

Old 10-23-05, 07:02 AM
Follow-up Questions - Plastic Outlet Boxes

Thanks for your reply. I had already used larger screws where possible. With the epoxy fix, am I just trying to make the hole smaller; then let the screws make new threads? Is there a particular type of epoxy to buy?

What do you mean by an "old-work box?"

Last edited by kseawel; 10-23-05 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Edit title
Old 10-23-05, 10:11 AM
An old-work box is an electrical box with tabs on it that allow it to grab the drywall. It does not need to be nailed to a framing member like a new-work box.

Old 10-23-05, 10:21 AM
Because it is plastic, I fill the hole with anything from JB weld to liquid nails. When set, drill a small pilot hole for the screw.

Old 10-24-05, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use an epoxy putty called "Pig Putty". It works great, but most epoxies or strong adhesives should work well too. Drill a pilot hole and use a self-tapping screw.

Old 11-02-05, 10:40 AM
Talking

Thank you so much for your help. I have had great success using epoxy (J B Weld) to fill holes then drilling a small pilot hole for the screw. I'm very happy now!!!!